circuit city reliable?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudwhisper 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
hey im buying a system for my car which includes :
Clif Designs CD10.1LX (700 RMS x 1 channel @ 1ohm)
two Alpine 12" Type S subs (300 RMS each, 2 ohm each)
first i was wondering if u think there would be any problems with the sound quality...and also there are no car audio shops around where i live...only a circuit city and im worried they might configure the speaker wiring wrong
since it is a mono amp powering two subs...has anyone ever had a system installed there?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
In my area the circuit city is a lot better than the best buy store. They actually want to help you at the circuit city and don't just want to sell you stuff. Their install bay is cleaner looking and they do more professional installs I think (they solder the connections instead of crimping at my local circuity city, simple but professional things like that).
You might want to talk to some of the installers and look around the car audio section to make sure that its the same in your area (I've heard good things and bad things about circuit city/best buy but it varies).
The alpine subs should sound ok. I'm not sure about the amp though. If you arn't sure on how to wire your subs, check out the wiring diagrams on crutchfield or Rockford Fosgate's website. Wiring Diagrams
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
im just worried since i have a mono amp which will be running at 1ohm and two subs at 2 ohm...
that they will wire a parrallel circuit or something... but when i looked on here at "woofer wiring" it recommended series and parrellel/series
i dont wanna have my subbs blown because of them
i also doubt they would replace it since i didn't buy it at their store, if they blew them
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
It's simple.  Stop worrying.  But I'll say this:  if you are going to use the term "sound quality", don't put in a system with that amplifier running at it's max (1 ohm load).  Get a higher output amp and run your subs at 4 ohms.  A compromise would be to switch out the subs for two that will combine to make 2 ohms, and run a more powerful amp at that load.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
its better to run the amp at a higher ohm then the subs are ...right?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Wiring your subs for a higher ohm load than your amps minimum ohm load is easier on the amp, but your subs get less power.
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
well anyone have any suggestion to a good amp that will power the two subs i posted up there ^^...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PHOX4001

A good buy on a Phoenix Gold Xenon.  The 400 watts from this amp would most likely be more power than the 700 watts from the Clif Designs amp.  Make sense?  It shouldn't, but it'll do the job...and then you won't have to worry about sound quality. 

You have a proper enclosure built for those subs?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
sealed enclosure that im just getting off another website
loudwhisper 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
also how would a 2 channel amp be?
i found a 2 channel amp that runs at
310 watt x 2 channels @ 4 ohm
does that mean each sub gets 310 watt @ 4 ohm?
and wouldn't it be easier if i were to get a two channel amp and run each sub to their own positive and negative terminal
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic