the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Fans, plexiglass for amp rack/bandpass box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys much help would be appreciated if you could give me a helping hand on this. I have a few questions for you all.

1. I bought two PC Fans. I need to know what  I need to make them run in my vehicle.

2. I have been considering putting my amps ontop of my sub box in a locked enclosement. It would have plexiglass covering it with locks. I called Car Toys recently and they told me not to use plexiglass on a bandpass box. Would the same go for the amp rack?

3. Is it a bad idea to use plexiglass on a bandpass box? I was really looking forward to having one. But until after they told me not to. I believe what is going to come out of a MECP installers mouth, but it may have just been his opinion because he said he would never use a bandpass for any sub. So I'm a bit doubtful... Any elaborate for me?

cirrusly_fast 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
try this for the fans. Amp Rack
I think the plexiglass thing was his opinion, however I am not a professional so I'll let them answer.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
System: 1-12" Orion H2, Crossfire VR2000D,Odyssey C2150 battery
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

i feel the same way on the bandpass but there are plenty of people that like them so you will get a few different opinons. why not a sealed enclosure? or vented? i feel they have better sq depending on your setup. you have alot of choices and in the end its all up to you and your true wants.

the fans are best run via relays are they brussless? i've seen pc fans that are not(will cuase noise) but usaully are brushless. take power to the 30 spot on the relay, put ground to the 85 spot, put the remote from amp or to a termal switch so they turn on when they reach set tempture. to 86 and pos. on fan to 87. ground fan. and try to keep the amps from being directly mounted to the box because of damage from the bass.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

In order to run your fans, I suggest you use a relay. Check this thread out, it will answer it. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=67505&PN=1

As far as the box goes, you could build your whole enclosure from plexi if you felt like it. Plexi glass encloures do have a different sound as opposed to MDF. But I would imagine that you are going to only have part of your box with plexi? Plexi is very expensive and pretty heavy.

I also don't see a problem with  a plexi amp enclosure, so long as there is proper ventilation. There are som draw backs to amps mounted to sub boxes. Like the vibrations may shorten the life of the amp and if a thief should take the box, he also gets some amps too. 

cirrusly_fast 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
here's a better link for that too. Cooling Fans.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
cirrusly_fast 
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
oops dwarren posts before i did, the link is not any better or worse than his link. he just posted that before i did
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks alot for the help with everything guys!

I'am going to cut holes for the BRUSHLESS fans on the side of the box. I have the face pieces extended to make the amp rack. Then, there would be another piece of MDF on top of that. And in the middle there would be another piece to seperate the amp rack and sub box. I was going to cut the top piece to put a plexiglass covering over it. The covering has hinges(?) and a lock. Then it would be screwed down on all 4 corners.

I was thinking that if I carpeted all the wood, it would dampen the noise of the plexiglass? Would that work?

I have done a vented enclosure. But if I created a bandpass box, it would be harder to get the subs. I'm going to be bolting the sub box down along with the amps. If I can create more time for the thief to take my stuff, the better of chances he won't get away with any of it.

So, if I cant put my amps ontop of the box how could I remedy it?

cirrusly_fast 
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
your set up sounds fine to me. have you been robbed before? cause you are going quite far with securing this stuff.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  

the hindges are not nessary unless you perffer them the carpet will help with the rattle and seal for both if you go with the bandpass use some thin weather stripping inbetween the box and plexi.

just mount the amps on a piece of mdf that is not a wall of the box. make an amp rack and mount it to the box. having the piece of mdf the amps are on not directly against the box.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
hex0rz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have not been robbed before. But I figure, "Go big or go home!"

I'm also purchasing DEI Cliffords new Avantguard series that is coming out in Feb/Jan.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic