icon

two or one sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
niskyspy 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I am having this lil argument with my friend about if its better to get one or two subs. Why do you think people are getting two subs intead of getting one and getting same ammount of power out of it?
Infinity 1242, Kenwood 7202, Panasonic dec
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
There is no definite answer to this. There are pros and cons to both.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
well as dwarren said there are goods and not so goods in having one or two subs. the reason that people seem to go with two is because there is a louder punch to the beat because you get +3db from having another sub there. BUT there is a problem. they will take up more space and will have a problem with cancellation that happens with that. it is were the waves the sub creates cross or run into each other canceling out each other. and with a single sub that doesn't happen. there is less space taken up and the is no cancellation that happens. but you have to have more power or a different more efficient box to equal the db of the pair of subs. but in the end it is all about what the person wants. hope this helps settle that
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

One good sub setup is plenty for SQ, unless you have a reason to use more...like you're installing a huge powerful system, have a very large vehicle, or are using small subs.  Reasons like that.  If SQ is your goal, IMO you should build on the premise of using one 12" sub. 

On the other side of the fence, if SPL is more important to you, then work with multiple subs if you want.  Most people now like to say "I got subS".  Just keep in mind it will be more difficult to achieve a natural response of music frequencies with a lot of cone area and power dedicated to just the under-100 Hz range.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Aaron,

it is possible to get a theoretical 3 dbs by adding another woofer, but there are variables that come into play- mainly the ohm load presented to the amplifier, and what ohm load the amp is stable into.  If you have two 4 ohm single voice coil subwoofers, you can either wire them in parallel- for a 2 ohm load, or in series- for an 8 ohm load.  Now if you have an amp that's stable to 4 ohm mono, you're better off with one sub from a db standpoint, because if you hook up two it'd have to be at 8 ohms, so you'd effectively have 3dbs less.

Also, space can be a concern, but cancellation is rarely an issue, unless the subs are poorly placed- one up front with one in the back (or something else ridiculous like that).  Usually woofers will be placed on the same plane, or at least the same general area, where they will complement each other.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Another reason people are getting 2 subs is in advertisement.  Everyone pushes 2 subs.  It makes more profit for the seller (not saying all audio sellers do that).  2 also sounds better than 1 to some people.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
i push alot more than 2 subs. in fact i dont think i have ever had less than 3
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
audiobhan101 wrote:
i push alot more than 2 subs. in fact i dont think i have ever had less than 3
Im sorry....2 subs is plenty for me, I think If I had all 4 running at once besides at shows I would be in big big trouble
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
youngone wrote:
the reason that people seem to go with two is because there is a louder punch to the beat because you get +3db from having another sub there.
The general rule of the thumb for doubling cone area is +6dB, not 3dB. Doubling power provides +3dB.
geepherder wrote:
cancellation is rarely an issue, unless the subs are poorly placed
Indeed, a pair of woofers on the same plane, with summed inputs playing in a common enclosure will absolutely *not* produce 'cancelation.'
arrow12 wrote:
2 also sounds better than 1 to some people.
yea seriously pairs of woofers just have this certain spank that single woofers just don't provide. Having used a single 13w6 for a year, moving to a pair of 12's (even at HALF the power) was much, much more satisfying lemmie tell ya..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
I have had as many as 6 12s' in one vehicle over the years, my previous setup was two 15 inch audiobahn immortals...It all depends on what you want. But even for spl one really good woofer that handles lots of power is hard to beat for ease of wiring, box size and design. Basically just a lot less hassles. Right now I am running a single 15" Digital Designs woofer and on any given day it will spank any multiple woofer setup with close to the same power. I can honestly say I will personally never have another multi woofer setup unless I decide to go hardcore spl and need a system that will handle 10,000 watts or so. Also, I've never seen anyone gain 6db on the meter  just by adding another woofer with the same amount of power. In the real world, you would likely only gain about 2db.
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic