icon

ohm load on Ma Audio amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
steve is right you can do that. and you did not make a bad decision on the amp you chose it was actually a very good choice in your application. you wanted a huge amount of power with no regards to sq. and there is nothing wrong with that it is all about the setup. especially in the competing world. and i have heard of people powering there subs with a ma audio amps. there is a guy on hear that has a 4400w ma amp don't now what the type it is though. he is powering a ma hard core 18'' with it and he is has the loudest car in his area. i think he has hit 160bd to 170bd don't remember the exact rating. and believe it or not he is running it at .5ohms ya it would be able to take it but it would take some rigging. it would only be able to do it for a short period of time.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
I noticed you said Mobile Authority earlier, hoping this was just a mistake....MA is owned by the same company that makes Mobily authority, but they are far from the same product
Yes these amps will run at .5 with the protection removed, they will actually go down to .25 if you have 16+ volts on them
I am a USACi compititor and have watched these amps go to .25 ohm, with a constant 16-17volts.....you need alot of money for your charging system though, more or less batteries and about $800-$1000 worth of them.
I would not recomend running these amps below thies recomended load, unless you have numerous batteries and or alternators, they drain alot of curent, and the protection curcuit is not 100% fool proof,    the first time you under volt them with out the protection curcuitry you will pop the amp, and more then likely it will be very costly to fix.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
I only referenced Mobile Authority in my earlier post because I assumed that was what one of the members was comparing MA to when he said they were not "robust, in general".  I really appreciate the feedback on MA amps from jeff and youngone. The info from steve will be very useful as well. I am currently competing in NSPL here in N.C., and am looking for a slight edge on my competition, that's why I came to this site. Right now I have the loudest beginner truck/suv 0-500 in my area with only one sub and one amp. It has been metered at 151.6 on the linear x meter and 147.7 on the new termpro meter currently being used by NSPL. I am running 4 SVR dry cell batteries with an eclipse HU. I appreciate all the help I've received today, hopefully I can yank out those pesky protection resistors tomorrow and do some testing with my voltmeter. Also, for those of you reading this thread, please don't confuse frustration with "smarter than thou" members for attitude. I thank all of you.
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
How large is your enclosure for your sub?   I am not fimilar with NSPL rules, so I dont know if you can do blow thru's and such..
I know at Usaci I didnt see them in anything larger then a 1.5cuft box per sub...strictly SPL use.
Like I said I run in USACi but if you let me know some of the main rules you have to follow I will do my best to offer and suggestions I can.
Our best to date
153.5db Outlaw Term-Lab   (Meghan Bailey)
301-900 Basic Stock
1 battery under the hood (kenitik hc2400)
(2) Crossfire 1000d's   500RMS@4ohm
(2) Kicker L7's 12"
All audio equipment subs/amps must be behind the strut towers in a hatchback vehicle...I.E our CRX
We used a 1st gen rex, not the easiest to get loud in.   I am sure you see plenty of 2nd gens in your org too
2007 World Record
ddsubman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
In NSPL beginner truck suv class, the only rule for box size and design is that it must be lower than the top of the passenger seat. My box is 8.5 cubic feet, the port is tuned to 45hz. I run in the 0-500 class, which is very strict competition when you take into consideration all of the cheater amps out there...There are many seasoned veterans in the "beginner" class. Basically the only thing that would stop anyone from running in beginner truck/suv is if they have a wall or are sponsored by someone in the 12 volt industry.  To date, I have never been beaten in my class by someone with 1 sub/amp. Usually it takes at least 2 and a lot more power!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know if you have tried it yet....try something along the lines of a 1.5-2.0 cu ft box tuned to around 50-55hz with the sub and port up...or sub forward and port up.....from what I have found in trucks they do the best with subs and ports up....port as close to drives side as possible
with sub forward it is in the dead middle, and the port to the drivers side pointing up
2007 World Record
ddsubman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info Jeff, I've got an old box in my garage that is about 2cu ft. I'll make a new face plate and port for it and try it out before the next show. I'll let you know what I found..
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic