icon

alpine nav live traffic updates

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

i have the alpine 310 head unit, the new 872a nav, the 420 ipod adapter, and the sirius SIR-ALP1 satellite radio receiver.

i activated the service today for the satellite radio. i specifically bought this thing to take advantage of the live traffic update and the weather updates built into the alpine nav (they say you have to have xm or siruis to do it). well, sirius is up and running and i get all the stations. i bought the annual subscription with every channel for around $145 or so. sirius features work fine. however, when im in the nav mode, the "traffic" icon is still "greyed out". i cant use it. it isnt giving me any traffic or weather updates what-so-ever on my nav. i cant figure out how to make this feature work. is there something i need to turn on in a menu somewhere? or is there an extra service that i need to pay for additionally via sirius? i was told that the basic service would allow this to work by my local stereo shop.

has anybody hooked this up yet? please help! alpine nav live traffic updates -- posted image.

Preservedswine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
I thought it was a seperate subscription... Pioneer uses the same service, they charge 14.95 a month (I think??)
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
with the pioneer you need the Pioneer XM tuner with nav traffic. Sirius doesn't do traffic. Only XM Nav traffic.
If you look in the nav's install manual you will see the special XM Data tuner you need to do the Nav Traffic, it is part #HCE-100XM
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  

extreme1 wrote:
with the pioneer you need the Pioneer XM tuner with nav traffic. Sirius doesn't do traffic. Only XM Nav traffic.
If you look in the nav's install manual you will see the special XM Data tuner you need to do the Nav Traffic, it is part #HCE-100XM

On page 8 of the manual it says EXACTLY this - i will type verbatim.

Traffic Information (Optional)

If you connect the XM data reciever HCE-100XM (sold seperately) or Sirius Data Receiver (sold seperately), and you sign up for Traffic & Weather, you can receive traffic information in real time. Traffic Incidents and congestion can be displayed on the map and also be listed by distance from the vehicle. For more information, visit XM's website at www.xmradio.com , or SIRIUS' website at www.sirius.com

this is verbatim. with that being said, i bought sirius' receiver box that hooks up via AI-NET right to my alpine head unit. i DO get the traffic and weather station on sirius. i can listen to them. they have a station for my area (washington DC). although i can listen to all of these stations and the satellite radio is working fine, it does not integrate any traffice or weather into the navigation portion of my system. the "traffic" icon in my navigation is greyed out and i cannot use it.

any advice from anybody who has actually done this before, or that knows about this?

thanks in advance guys! alpine nav live traffic updates -- posted image.

alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 4:31 AM / IP Logged  

oh yea, just to clarify, when i called siruis to sign up yesterday for service the lady on the phone told me that they just have one package and it includes every channel, including traffic and weather. these arent an option. everybody gets every channel. the option lie in how you want to pay.

month by month - $13 a month, or you can pay annually which is about $145 and that gives you a month free, or if you pay for 2 years at once its about $275 and it gives you 3 months free. something like that. those prices are just off the top of my head, but i think they are close to what she said.

so, i do have a subscription with siruis, and she said it includes the traffic and weather channels.

now, do these channels have anything to do with what the nav needs to update my real time traffic and weather on the screen? i have no idea. thats why i need you guys alpine nav live traffic updates -- posted image.

alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys, i just double checked and called siriuis. the guy told me "if you subscribe, you get EVERYTHING we offer. we have no other hidden weather or traffic packages. everybody gets the same thing. just one basic service. we have no other options. but i know XM radio offers a basic and premium package"

so, anyways, there is nothing left for me to subscribe to with sirius. im not sure why it doesnt work. however, i just did some searching on XMs website and found this service that is available.

http://www.xmradio.com/weather/grd_service_pricing.html

that is a XM WX satellite weather service, but jeez, its $100 per month with a $100 activation fee!!! alpine nav live traffic updates -- posted image.

is this what you would need to do what im trying to do? its just detailed weather though, it doesnt say anything about traffic, so, i dont think thats it.

im so confused alpine nav live traffic updates -- posted image.

im going to call alpine today after they open at noon eastern time

alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  

okay, im getting somewhere.

although alpine says its available in the owners manual with Sirius, i think this is a future plan. i found this article http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/technology/20050118/ces_mobile_overview.html?page=2 and it states that "SIRIUS plans to make NAVTEQ services available to its subscribers in the 4th quarter of 2005. "

so, i presume it WILL be available soon, but just not yet. however, XM already has the NAVTEQ service available, and here is ths info and pricing on it http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/get_nav.jsp

now, i just have to buy the Alpine HCE-100XM receiver. here is a photo of it http://www.cesweb.org/shared_files/innovations/innovations_2004/3932/mainphoto3932.jpg

Can anybody please help me find where i can buy this? i googled it, froogled it, and ebay searched it. "0" results everywhere. its not even on alpines website!!!! wtf?

where can one buy this? haha.

whtcrxghst 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sirius has not released their version of NavTraffic yet but I have seen ads for the Alpine box that will do it in the future.  It will be distributed by the same company that makes the one you bought and should be orderable soon or in the near future.  As for XM NavTraffic, Alpine had some major problems getting it to work properly with their current equipment (they have seperate nav and screen, unlike the pioneer which is all-in-one and has been up and running for some time.)  The latest rumor I heard is that Alpine will not support XM NavTraffic in 05 or 06 but may in the future.  Your best bet may be to contact the dealer you purchased your Sirius from and see if they are taking orders on the sirius box with data/traffic.  If its anything like the pioneer, it will be more expensive than the regular tuner
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
whtcrxghst wrote:
Sirius has not released their version of NavTraffic yet but I have seen ads for the Alpine box that will do it in the future.  It will be distributed by the same company that makes the one you bought and should be orderable soon or in the near future.  As for XM NavTraffic, Alpine had some major problems getting it to work properly with their current equipment (they have seperate nav and screen, unlike the pioneer which is all-in-one and has been up and running for some time.)  The latest rumor I heard is that Alpine will not support XM NavTraffic in 05 or 06 but may in the future.  Your best bet may be to contact the dealer you purchased your Sirius from and see if they are taking orders on the sirius box with data/traffic.  If its anything like the pioneer, it will be more expensive than the regular tuner
like above said there is no traffic for the nav with sirius yet, and you most likely will need a new tuner from sirius when it does become avaiable.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
shadowdd 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

The HCE-100XM has not been released yet. They are expecting it out the 1st week of January.  I have been testing the unit for the last couple of months both the Nav unit for Alpine and the XM traffic nav work great.  I hope that this helps. I know that the XM price is $12.95 for the xm service and $3.99 above that for the Traffic Sub.

Bryan

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic