icon

preamp voltage on Kenwood KDC-MP5028?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed one of these decks and it claims to have two sets of preamp outputs that output 4 volts (one front and one sub). My question is that when I was adjusting the gain on the amp for the front channels and the subwoofer, it ended up having to be up pretty high to get the most out of the amp. On the amp the gain control ranges from 5 volts to .5 I think and I have the fronts at about 1.5 volts and the subwoofer at about 2.
I'm thinking that the cd player can't actually put out 4 volts continuous. Is this true, and are my gain settings reasonable?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
anyone?
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
The only way to know for sure would be to play a test tone and use an o-scope to see at what point the signal clips.  I hardly ever pay attention to the gain control numbers on amps.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

I don't have personal experience with that deck, but I have noticed that setting gains according to the specs on the deck and amp are never accurate. It's usually higher on the amp than whats suggested on the deck.

You can certainly test the preouts with a meter and test tones. I recall hearing that pre amp voltages fluctuate with varying frequencies.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not an installer and I know you are, and you and I both know that you have worlds more experience with setting gains than I do... but from what I've experienced and heard, I wouldn't take any claim of output voltage from any manufacturer as gospel.  And I wouldn't assume positions of the gain control as indicative of relative voltage input.

My position is:  make a good test CD that works for your gain-setting procedure, and use it on every install.  Same way, every time.  When you hear the clipping you don't even pay attention to the gain position on the amp.  You just know that the units are matched.  If I did this more often I would pick up one of those handheld O-scopes.  PE is giving away a DMM with those now, IIRC.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic