icon

xm antenna

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

im trying to figure out how u install the roof mount xm antenna. i know you supposed to run it down the window track but the n how do you get it in the trunkwithout going over or pinching the gasket. im doing this ina  2002 benz c320

also wher eu recommend taping off for power and locating the unit.( its the fm modulator one by alpine)

any help would be great thanks

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
When I do roof mount installs I run the cable  thru the head liner down the rear pillar then run it thru the rear deck and into the trunk. 
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  

Place the antenna on the rear deck inside the car (I was told).

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=6597&PagePosition=2#thread

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
why do you put it thru the headliner. how you get it there if its out side the car?
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

oh and if i install it on the rear deck. should i use like velcro insead of the 3m tape??

anyone have problems putting it on the reaar deck.thanks

carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

anyone ?

can you please help im doing it tomorrow i hope

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

If you go to https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=6597&PagePosition=2#thread

They address the antenna on the front dash which will be the same as the rear deck.

ld2638 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

Which antenna did you buy? Is it the Terk SR2?? You can run the antenna wires underneath the rear window gasket down to the trunk lid. depending on the type of vehicle, you may be able to run the wires through a grommet going inside the trunk. (the Fakra connectors come off, just the green and curry plastic connector not the metal part). If you do not have anything like this you can loop the wire over the rubber trunk gasket and into the trunk area.  you will need to zip tie the wires secure so they don't just droop into the trunk. You can also wrap the two wires together in electrical tape from the bottom of the window  gasket and into the trunk to make them easier to handle. The gasket around the trunk should conform to she shape of the wires without water leaking in. Do not run the wires under the trunk lid gasket. It will bend the wires at too sharp of an angle and if it doesn't break them it will later on when you use the trunk. Slamming the lid down a few times will break them.

Hope this helps

ld2638 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
The benz should have a rubber hose housing wires to the 3rd brake light or something going down the left side of the trunk lid by the hinges and into the trunk. you should be able to remove the big plastic connectors and make an incision in the rubber grommet where they enter the trunk area and slip those wires through in ot the trunk. Just make sure you seal the incision with something like some black strip caulking. 3M make soem that works great for that.
ld2638 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry I keep thinking of ideas after I submit the posts. I would not reccomend the rear deck inside the car. You may use the  trunk lid as an alternative. This will eliminate the need to negotiate the rear window gasket.

The antenna needs as much exposure as possible to keep a good signal. Inside the car restricts the line of sight to the satellites. XM's satellites sit at approximately 30 degrees on the horizon. So depending on which way you're driving and how much of the sky the antenna can see will depend on how good your signal will be. Obviously inside the car on the rear deck will limit it's performance. It will work, but shouldn't work very well when on the move.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic