icon

How to test if enough current?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
That's usually the case when I hear this of this problem.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, never try to power any component off anything in the vehicle that is already powered, unless it is designed for it (like a cigarette lighter or power outlet.)  Trying to tap a power source off something like an A/C control or dash light  is always a bad idea, for many reasons not the least of which is the vehicle's wiring is only designed for the expected loads.  Plus you never know for sure when some existing load is and is not actually powered (I've even seen one person try to use their dome light to power a video system and wonder why it only worked when the doors are open.  Duh.)
Support the12volt.com
trobins5 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
I know about time outs and doom light wires are a no no. I am just looking for about a 2.4 amp draw. What about a 10ga 12v constant blower motor wire?
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

trobins5 wrote:
I know about time outs and doom light wires are a no no. I am just looking for about a 2.4 amp draw. What about a 10ga 12v constant blower motor wire?

What about it?  I'm not sure what you're asking.

Support the12volt.com
trobins5 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, you said to only tap into a circuit like a lighter or pwr outlet. I'm asking if I am only adding about 2 more amps to the wire that is already a 15, 20, or 30 amp fuse rating will it hurt? I don't think so because the manufacture over rates the fuse size anyways.
DYohn 
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Like I said, in general it is not good practice to tap into an existing load side wire, mainly because car manufacturers use the smallest size wire possible for the expected load, and your additional load may cause problems.  If you are tapping into the fuse box, sure go for it you may not cause any issues, but you may cause a fuse to blow.  And never change the sizes of OEM fuses.  If you need to run a new power cable, do so (with a proper fuse) directly from the battery.
Support the12volt.com
trobins5 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, what if I need a 12v constant and a switched pwr source from the center console area or the passenger kick/ glovebox area?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

Note to mods:

Please retitle this thread to "Cellular hands-free install".

Better than that:  trobin5, I suggest you start a new thread with that title, as your original question here has been answered.  Post it in the forum "Cellular and communications".  Readers searching for answers will find it easier that way.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic