icon

adding two 300 amp alternators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ibetuwin 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  

i am thinking of addind 2 ohio genrator 300 amp alternators to the car on top of the one i already have, and 6 yellow top batteries.  i was wondering if the alternators could be housed in the trunk of the car ( 2000 cavalier z24) as the entire trunk will be just batteries, amps, and hopefully the alternators.  I am going to be using all this to power 2 soundstream xxx 6500 amps or two hi fonics colossus.

thank y ou

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
That would take some hella long drive belts, wouldn't it?  Do you have a mechanic lined up to install these alts?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Either hella long drive belts and pretty cool pulley system, or an engine in the trunk like an APU in an aircraft...

There are companies who specialize in building mounting brackets for using multiple alts in a vehicle.  You may have to lose your AC if there's not enough room under the hood.  The only company I've ever used for this is Zena but there are others, or you could have one custom fabricated.

Also, if you add batteries in your trunk make sure you have them properly ventilated and your cabling is sufficient for the load and sufficiently protected.  This is not something that is safe for the amateur installer to do, usually. 

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Not to mention the fact that you are probably TRIPLING the value of the car, with just the AMPLIFIERS!!! I keed, I keed!
I smell smoke. Do you guys smell smoke?
What about the suspension? 500 pounds of batteries is gonna do SOME damage to a stock suspension system... Will you be addressing THAT little issue?
Or, use a Power Take-Off (PTO) like dumptrucks use... It goes between the engine and the transmision... That or you could use a hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor system... No wait, you could put a big generator on the engine, run power to the trunk to run a motor... to turn the new alternators!
1 amp of output at 14.4 volts requires 0.0187 HP from your engine. Multiply this by 600 (amps), and you are looking at 11.22 HP just to run the newly added alternators! And that is at 100% efficient. (I think you said you already had one in there? Make that 16HP total.) That, BTW, is a little over 8% of the rated HP of that stock motor. Forget any losses involved. By the time you are done, you are looking at probably 20% lost to heat and other inefficiencies. Is that REALLY worth it?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hobobasher 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  

yeah wow that says it lol I wouldent even go that far for a ssytem 6 batteries? thats unreal and not to mention silly why are you going to have 6 batteries and 3 alts in a compact car? thats insae.

I guess everyone has a different opinion but personnally I think it's just not worth it.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
If this is gonna be a full time spl comp car than go for it. Spend some money and do it right. If this is a daily driver your gonna wish you just put in a single 300 amp alt in place of your oem alt. what kind of set up are you gonna have? 600 amps is a lot of ponies for a system in a daily driver. Good luck.
Big Dave
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Not to mention the fact that you are probably TRIPLING the value of the car, with just the AMPLIFIERS!!! I keed, I keed!
I smell smoke. Do you guys smell smoke?
What about the suspension? 500 pounds of batteries is gonna do SOME damage to a stock suspension system... Will you be addressing THAT little issue?
Or, use a Power Take-Off (PTO) like dumptrucks use... It goes between the engine and the transmision... That or you could use a hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor system... No wait, you could put a big generator on the engine, run power to the trunk to run a motor... to turn the new alternators!
1 amp of output at 14.4 volts requires 0.0187 HP from your engine. Multiply this by 600 (amps), and you are looking at 11.22 HP just to run the newly added alternators! And that is at 100% efficient. (I think you said you already had one in there? Make that 16HP total.) That, BTW, is a little over 8% of the rated HP of that stock motor. Forget any losses involved. By the time you are done, you are looking at probably 20% lost to heat and other inefficiencies. Is that REALLY worth it?

I think a simple "no" would have sufficed about placing alternators in the trunk. What a jacka**

Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic