icon

Newbie Remote Start advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shyman 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 96 chevy full size truck. I am wanting to purchase a remote starter for it. Right now my main concerns are distance I can start the vehicle, it must unlock the doors, and of course I want this to last as long as possible. I plan to install myself as I am very capable.

I would like the type that I can confirm the vehicle started via remote. I saw an Autopage on ebay that would even tell you what the temperature was inside the truck which I thought would be cool but not absolutely necessary. Most I have found come with an alarm and I really dont need the alarm portion though.

What would you recommend and where is the best place to buy online. Is there anyone that offers a warrenty if I install myself?

Thanks for your help!

(P.S. Is the wiring diagram located in a Chilton's manual for this vehicle adequate for installation purposes?)

j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
I know some one personally that has the autopage with the temperature and Remote starte and he likes it.  He ownes a stereo shop out of jacksoneville FL and that is what he sells it for.  also go to www.bulldogsecurity.com for the wiring diagram it won't steer you wrong
shyman 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to get hose features in a unit that does not have an alarm?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

Astro 2205, and 4204. I know that compustar makes some too.

Getting a warranty from ANY good manufacturer, on a do it yourself install, is gonna be hard to do...most aren't even supposed to be sold over the counter,(uninstalled)  much less on the internet.

http://www.directechs.com/directwire/wire_body.asp?action=select&yr=1763&product=Remote%20Start

nojelo 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Crimestopper makes a stand alone autostart keyless entry with excellant range and installer friendly called " COOLSTART". I've been using them for 8 yrs with no problems
mikep554 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
I believe that DEI's Hornet line is sold as a DIY system. I just put a Viper 791xv in my Cherokee last week, and I've been pretty happy with it. I also put an Autopage 855LCD in my friend's BMW 525, and it is pretty nice as well. I'd recommend the DEI gear if you want high security (more sensor inputs and flexability), or the Autopage if you want convenience type features. The Autopage has both ground when armed and ground when disarmed, something some alarms don't have, along with the internal temp display, remote has clock and parking timer, lots of toys. Also, the Autopage comes with the second (non-LCD) remote, you have to buy it extra with a DEI. But the DEI has an easier to work with antenna and the remote start relays are in an offboard module that makes it easier to hide the brain in a crevice somewhere.
jrferrell 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
In spite of what they tell you about Hornet, DEI will NOT warranty unless installed by a "dealer." Not only that, they are plain rude to DIYers. Trust me. The 564T is probably the best for what you're looking for, but beware of the lack of warranty. You'll find much better support here than from DEI. Mine came out of the box with a bad relay satellite (rare I'm told). DEI tech support told me simply "that unit is sold as dealer-install only. You have no warranty. Tough luck." I've been a mechanic (automotive and industrial) for over 35 years. But since I self-installed a faulty unit, no warranty, and they won't even sell me a replacement part. Be warned!
I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could...
mrgoetz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
you dont want those hornets, we sold them last year and they were the biggest piece of junk dei has ever made, get a avital or viper and do it right.  the ones with the two way pageing will get you about 300 feet or so of transmitter range. the avital 4000xl is around 159 at best buy's (including install) and the viper 160 is about 203( including install) at best buys.
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

mrgoetz wrote:
you dont want those hornets, we sold them last year and they were the biggest piece of junk dei has ever made, get a avital or viper and do it right.  the ones with the two way pageing will get you about 300 feet or so of transmitter range. the avital 4000xl is around 159 at best buy's (including install) and the viper 160 is about 203( including install) at best buys.

I've dealt with a lot of the different dei brands and as far as I remember the hornet systems are identical to their viper etc counterparts except for the transmitter.  As for your prices from best buy that includes install yes, but does not include parts or extra labor.  Trust me when I say most of them will sell you a lot of technically unnesseccary parts......

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic