Remote start not working in the cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jbhars 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Everyone,
I have a jkrs3 remote starter installed in my blazer, and when the temp drops to about -15C or so, remote start stops working.
The park lgihts come on and such, and it acts like its going to start... but the starter never turns over.
On warmer days it works great.
Any ideas?
I did a search , but couldn't find anything that sounded like my problem, since the starter isn't turning over at all.
Also, sometimes in the cold when it does work, it will start, but the remote starter is shutting off the starter too soon. (Ie, the car stalls again it seems.) Should I try to re-learn the tach if that happens again?
Unfortunately, the 2nd problem is hard to reproduce right now, due to problem 1.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
many units have an adjustable crank time and often you have to allow longer cranking times for cold temps or the unit wont start.....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jbhars 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
I just saw some settings for that now actually, I'll try and adjust that once I get it to actually "try" to start once its cold.
Any idea on problem #1?
Thanks for your help.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

prob1 is very unusuall  does the car start ok with the key at those temps

Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
jbhars 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Powermyster wrote:

prob1 is very unusuall  does the car start ok with the key at those temps

Yep, it starts very easily at those temperatures with the key.  The remote start has a diagnostic mode I'll have to try and figure out.  All the diagnostics listed in the book don't sound very likely though.

Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

what model is the unit. wonder if it thinks that it too cold to start the car or something. very unusual that it will work fine when warmer and the key works fine when cold.

i was thinking that maybe the starter was sticking on you  but obviosly not the case

Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
What year Blazer, and is the SECURITY light in the dashboard solid or flashing when it is failing to remote start?
jbhars 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, it's 2001.
I'm using the PLXR from bypasskit.com to bypass the passlock.... I didn't look for the security light last time, and now the damn weather has warmed up and everything is working fine... (Until the temp drops again)
Has anyone had trouble with the PLXR's in the cold before?
What will happen if the passlock is not properly bypassed? I was under the impression that it would start/run for like two seconds.... But not anywhere near sure about that. In my case, the starter is not turning at all.
Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone has.
The temperature is looking pretty warm for the next few days, so I probably won't be able to try it again for a while.
I'll post back more info as soon as it cools off.
Tight_dbz 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Tahoe and have worked on many GM's.  If the bypass does not work for some reason the vehicle will attempt to start (cranks) but it will die soon after.  So i would probably rule the bypass module out but not completely since i'm not familiar with the remote starter. 

Another thing that came to my mind, far fetched however, is that some of the relays in the relay pack are getting stuck in the cold weather.  if you can the best thing would be (the long way) to meter all the connections one at a time throughout the remote start process and find out what is not working. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic