icon

Chrysler 300 - Factory Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kevin872 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all.  I installed a Mopar remote starter in my 300 back around March.  I initially had intermittent problems with it dying, which turned out to be a crappy "hood switch".  Once I narrowed that down and bypassed it, it was fine.  Now I have been having problems again....

When it is cold (sitting over night, around 10 degrees in morning), the car won't remote start.  The ignition comes on for a few seconds, then shuts down and the horn beeps twice.  After looking through the troubleshooting section of the manual, I have concluded that it seems to think that there is a key already in the ignition.  This ONLY happens when the car sits over night and the temp drops below 12 or so.  The only way I can get the same results when it is warmer is to put my key in the ignition then try to remote start it.  It does exactly the same thing.  For this reason, I am almost certain that the problem is that it thinks there is a key in the ignition.

I was talking to my local Chrysler dealer and he said Chrysler has had problems with these remote starters and is planning to basically recall them all and replace some parts.  I didn't get into details, but I know that the hood tilt switch is one of the parts, and possibly the module.  I didn't yet know my exact problem, so didn't get into that.  Anyway, does anybody here happen to know the extent of the Chrysler remote starter problems?  Is there a known issue similar to the cold weather problem I am having?  I know it isn't a tach issue, because it never even tries to start it.  I also know it isn't a safety input issue (brake down/ hood up) because the behavior is different.  I also know that the "key sense" polarity is correctly set because it works fine when it is warmer.

Any ideas????

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the key or transponder chip in the car is not giving off a strong enough signal when it gets that cold.
On another note, this is the first post I can remember on this site that pertains to factory remote starters.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic