icon

remote starter range

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steve700xedge 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
hi, I have a fm-870 alarm/car starter that I believe is made by commando and it stated a 2500ft range. I have had this installed in two vehicles and have had very limited range. somedays it works maybe 200ft and sometimes I have to be almost standing next to the truck for it to get the signal. anyway to test the antenna or module or just start over and buy different unit?   thanks,   steve
2003 silverado2500HD LT crew cab
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest going directly to the battery for power and ground.  I'm not sure on commandos, but the cliffords this will make a big difference on range.  Also, placement of the antenna is critical, it should be placed high on the glass- like centered on the windshield above the rear view mirror.  If you have tinted windows, metallic tint will affect your range as well.  If you've noticed your range decrease recently, try replacing the battery in your remote.

If all else fails, you can always upgrade.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
steve700xedge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
I have it on top of the windshield and the power is coming straight from the battery, but the ground is on a chassis bolt under the dash, but how can I explain the differences in range when sitting in the same spot but on different days.  remote battery is new
geepherder 
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Grounding at the battery seems to increase the range.  As far as how the range varies from day to day, I can't explain that.

Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

Why would grounding at the battery make a difference. It's all grounded to the same metal. I understand there might be some resistance but that shouldn't affect the range.

geepherder 
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I know on Cliffords in particular this can make a noticable difference.  Try it out and see.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Most range claims are bogus. The number 2500ft. might have been derived in a desert, on flat ground, with nothing in sight to interfere. If you have good antenna placement and a good battery in your remote, you may be at your maximum usable range. Note that I used the battery that came with my last remotestart/alarm/keyless for a year, then replaced it. After replacing it I noticed the range almost doubled, maybe the other battery was just cheap? Maybe it had been sitting in storage for a few years? In short, if your connections are good and the install is done properly you may just have to live with this.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
solderking 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Antennas for car starters/security should be mounted 1.5-3" from the top of the glass for best results. Weather also plays a big part in the range of RF Remotes.

"Canadian Tire?!? Wheres my DMM?"
Mobile Dynamics Graduate
MECP Silver Level Installer
steve700xedge 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
but the cheap starter for my work truck works a consistant 500 ft from just about anywhere and I bought that at target for $30 (auto command) brand. you would think that the fm technology they claim would be better than that, not worse

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic