icon

Alpine MRD-M1005 or JLAudio 1000/1 amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alpine0000 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  

I want to run two JL audio 12W6v2 subwoofers that will be in a sealed box. i am a SQ guy.

i am not taking price into consideration when comparing these two specific amps. which amp is better and why?

Alpine V12 MRD-M1005 amp or the JL Audio 1000/1 amp?

how do the V12 amps compare the JL Audio amps generally?

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
Uhh.
1)The JL Audio has a regulated power supply. The Alpine is rated at 14.4V.. the JL will put out more power at a lower voltage than the Alpine.. nevermind the JL will put something like a real world 1600watts into a reactive load.
In fact, at 12 volts, the Alpine is producing an anemic 700watts. Under a load the JL will give you flat-out twice the power.
2)The JL is stable down to a lower, albiet uselessley lower, impedence.
3)The JL has a higher dampening factor and S/N ratio. By the numbers, it is a significantly better sounding amp.
4)The JL 1000/1 has got to be the best *looking* subwoofer amp ever.
Indeed, in case you can't tell there Alpine0000, the JL1000/1 completely outclasses the Alpine in every concievable sense. In terms of power output, the Alpine DOES NOT EVEN COMPETE WITH THE JL 500/1. It isn't even half the amp the JL is, seriously.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
Uhh.
1)The JL Audio has a regulated power supply. The Alpine is rated at 14.4V.. the JL will put out more power at a lower voltage than the Alpine.. nevermind the JL will put something like a real world 1600watts into a reactive load.
In fact, at 12 volts, the Alpine is producing an anemic 700watts. Under a load the JL will give you flat-out twice the power.
2)The JL is stable down to a lower, albiet uselessley lower, impedence.
3)The JL has a higher dampening factor and S/N ratio. By the numbers, it is a significantly better sounding amp.
4)The JL 1000/1 has got to be the best *looking* subwoofer amp ever.
Indeed, in case you can't tell there Alpine0000, the JL1000/1 completely outclasses the Alpine in every concievable sense. In terms of power output, the Alpine DOES NOT EVEN COMPETE WITH THE JL 500/1. It isn't even half the amp the JL is, seriously.

very well put. and thank you for your response Alpine MRD-M1005 or JLAudio 1000/1 amp? - Last Post -- posted image.

any other input from other members? (not that this last post wasnt good info or anything! Alpine MRD-M1005 or JLAudio 1000/1 amp? - Last Post -- posted image.)

alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

ok sedate - one more question for you.

we all know about Zapco quality and reputation. their Competition Series amps are among the best. especially with the "SymbiLink™ Balanced Technology that provides up to 16 volts of balanced input for the cleanest, quietest signal possible". you can spend thousands of dollars on two of their competition amps.

however, how do their Reference Series amps compare with the JL audio Slash series?

for example: lets compare the JL audio 1000/1 amp to the Zapco reference 1100.1 . i dont mean which one can just pump out the most watts. im sure they are both close. but, as far as SQ and product quality. does the zapco reference series have a regulated input? does it just crush the JL audio slash series? because the price difference between these two amps is about $100 i think.

in a perfect world, id get the Zapco Competition series amps, but i dont want to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on JUST amps. Alpine MRD-M1005 or JLAudio 1000/1 amp? - Last Post -- posted image. man, are those some nice amps though!

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Definately the JL over the alpine, however i don't have experience with the Zapco amp.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
alpine0000 wrote:
you can spend thousands of dollars on two of their competition amps.
I'd love to.
alpine0000 wrote:
however, how do their Reference Series amps compare with the JL audio Slash series?
for example: lets compare the JL audio 1000/1 amp to the Zapco reference 1100.1 . i dont mean which one can just pump out the most watts. im sure they are both close. but, as far as SQ and product quality. does the zapco reference series have a regulated input? does it just crush the JL audio slash series?
Uhh. Hmm. Here, I'm not nearly as sure about a number of things...
To be honest, that Ref1100.1 looks so much like an old Soundstream Ref1000 I used to mess with I can't help but like it...
The S/N and THD are FAR BETTER on the Zapco.. it does NOT have a regulated power supply, at least not one that has the chokehold-JL's RIPS does... I have a feeling the JL probably puts out a hair more power, and certainly twice as much into 4-ohms.
It absolutely does *not* 'crush' the JL1000/1 ... It does sound better, but not in anyway a car stereo of all things will be able to reproduce...   
I think both amps are very righteous. Of the two, I'd take the one *not* made in China....
I mean. I'm not really a power-monger.
alpine0000 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
alpine0000 wrote:
you can spend thousands of dollars on two of their competition amps.
I'd love to.
alpine0000 wrote:
for example: lets compare the JL audio 1000/1 amp to the Zapco reference 1100.1 . i dont mean which one can just pump out the most watts. im sure they are both close. but, as far as SQ and product quality. does the zapco reference series have a regulated input? does it just crush the JL audio slash series?
Uhh. Hmm. Here, I'm not nearly as sure about a number of things...
To be honest, that Ref1100.1 looks so much like an old Soundstream Ref1000 I used to mess with I can't help but like it...
The S/N and THD are FAR BETTER on the Zapco.. it does NOT have a regulated power supply, at least not one that has the chokehold-JL's RIPS does... I have a feeling the JL probably puts out a hair more power, and certainly twice as much into 4-ohms.
It absolutely does *not* 'crush' the JL1000/1 ... It does sound better, but not in anyway a car stereo of all things will be able to reproduce...   
I think both amps are very righteous. Of the two, I'd take the one *not* made in China....
I mean. I'm not really a power-monger.

hehe, sounds to me like you think its a close toss up. im not sure which one is made in china Alpine MRD-M1005 or JLAudio 1000/1 amp? - Last Post -- posted image.

so, which amp would you choose and why? ( i noticed in your signature that you already have JL amps)

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine0000 wrote:
so, which amp would you choose and why? ( i noticed in your signature that you already have JL amps)
Hehe now *MY* JL amp is a good match for the MRD-M1005... In fact... if it was rated at 14.4v instead of a realistic 12.5, it'd be a 1066@2-ohms instead of an 800 eh?
To be honest, I'd pick whichever PAIR I could get the better deal on.. I do NOT mix amps.. my amps MUST match or they don't go in... To me it'd be like driving with two different rims. Functional yes, but freakin retarded.
Ultimately, and this actually contridicts my previous statement, but I think I would choose the JL's. (Manufactured in China SHAME ON YOU JL) I know I can get a 450/4 and a 1000/1 for $1500 even at my JL dealer.... and the onboard xover on the 450/4 is something that, literally, gives me goosebumps.
The Zapco's, on the other hand, are far more pedestrian in their output and construction. They certainly don't look as good, and they really are *not* as flexible.. and I think they'd make less power.
For myself, I believe I would ultimately choose the JL amps b/c:
1)Better xovers, MUCH more adjustability, on either JL amp.
2)More power, even tho the Zapco's are technically cleaner amplifiers, the numbers are so high in the stratosphere either way, that it really doesn't make a difference human ears will pick up..
3)The JL's are clearly the better looking amps.
4)I think the JL's would run me $500 - $700 less for the pair.
And I can't actually make the last statement without making some political ones too:
(And no, I'm not high-minded enough to put my money where my mouth is, only my CAPS LOCK key):
That said, I want to remind everyone that the US has a ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLAR TRADE DEFICIT WITH CHINA. WAL-MART ALONE ACCOUNTS FOR MORE THAN ONE QUARTER OF THAT. EVERYTIME YOU SHOP AT WAL-MART/BUY SOME CHINESE POS, YOU TAKE ONE MORE LOP OFF THE OLE' AMERICAN STANDARD OF LIVING.
THINK ABOUT THAT.
DIE WAL-MART DIE.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

But China is where you will find factories.  Find me an efficient factory here in the States and I'll ask them to bid my product.

This country has changed a lot in the last 30 years.  When I go through an old factory town now I ask myself "Where do the people work now?"

A:  Wal-Mart.  Not kidding.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
I know I know I know...
:::rubs eyes:::
Oh stevdart, it makes me weep. Every job Wal-Mart makes it kills 3 more somewhere else.
stevdart wrote:
Find me an efficient factory here in the States and I'll ask them to bid my product
I know I know....
Health care, pensions, vacations, sick leave...... yikes Americans, so used to the good life, have their hands out and their heads down...! All that AND the American factory will need $25/hour/employee.... compared to a flat thirty cents in China.
The scary thing is, pretty soon, China won't be bidding on JL's amps, they'll be designing them.
....and then the US will no longer rule the world... Alpine MRD-M1005 or JLAudio 1000/1 amp? - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic