the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Are there any don't do's when using F.G.?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smonster 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
I have a habit of learning the hard way, I would like to to hear of things, even if you think they are common sense, that can make the process difficult. For example, don't use foam finishing pain brushes to apply resin, seemed like an ok idea at the time. I should have figured it would melt.   Anyways, thanks in advance, happy holidays.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

The most valuable thing I can tell is you is take your time. If you're not a good painter or don't have the proper equiptment have someone paint it for you. It doesn't make sense to do all that work and have a sloppy paint job(If you're going to paint it.)

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
These are the things I wish someone would have told me:
1- Make sure you get the shape exactly as you want. Don't plan on "I'll fix it later" that will waste days of your time.
2- Mixing the resin hot is better than not having it harden at all. lol (Please tell me I'm not the only one!?!?)
3- Don't hold back on the resin. You don't have to make a big batch, but prepare to make more than 1 batch. This means always keep extra paint brushes on hand.
3continued- Just gob that resin on to your felt or what ever. Keep pouring that stuff on till it is saturated and just dripping all over the place.
4- Bondo... I think the thing people overlook that is the most important is the sand paper. GET THE RIGHT GRIT SAND PAPER AND GET ENOUGH SAND PAPER.
sanding.... sanding... oh the memories of FG lol
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
smonster 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
I just got a spray gun kit and now I just need the compressor. How much pressure is required to use a spray gun?
smonster 
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hell yeah.   Hot batches, does that mean that it doesn't really take 2 or three days for the resin to harden? Are there any don't do's when using F.G.? -- posted image.
Thanks, that is some good stuff right there!!!!!
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

smonster your spray gun should have came with the specs for it.. if not get on the manufactures website....

i agree you can never have enough resin.. i always have to mix more and then i will mix to much the last time.. but no need to let it go to waste

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Dont make a design with super tight tolerances when the fleece in put on, because once you fiberglass it your subs, or speakers may not have room beside them anymore to fit.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
cxixer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

WEAR A RESPIRATOR! fumes and small fibers may not seem like it, but they cause damage to your lungs! Don't risk it, buy it, use it.

DO NOT MIX MEKP AND ACETONE - this causes a fire.

http://www.able-audio.com/tutorials/glass/glass.php for more info

DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

I have done a bit of Fiberglassing, why not acetone and plastic?

Duke Duke
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

5150azn wrote:
4- Bondo... I think the thing people overlook that is the most important is the sand paper. GET THE RIGHT GRIT SAND PAPER AND GET ENOUGH SAND PAPER.

Yep, I found this out the hard way.  I started with 120 grit and worked my way up.  Primed it and painted it only to find that I should have started with 40~60grit.  So that's what i did.  I found that a random orbital sander works GREAT!  Also, hardware stores sell this little rubber/wax like blick that is used for cleaning out the sandpaper.  It works wonders.  I was able to use a piece of sand paper far longer then I would, or even could have used it without cleaning it.

I don't know if it's been mentioned sinse it's so obvious, but don't eat the FGAre there any don't do's when using F.G.? -- posted image.

someone wrote:
DO NOT MIX MEKP AND ACETONE - this causes a fire.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to try that when i get home Are there any don't do's when using F.G.? -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic