icon

T-Line Box Specs Calculator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaggy_one469 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
is there site out there to calculate sub info and get specs for the almighty t-line? i know they are difficult to build correctly but if i had some dimensions, i would have a good starting point. the construction shouldnt be too bad since my brother and i have reasonable carpentry experience.   the sub i wanna get is the Eclipse SW9122. the specifications on this sub are:
Fs: 27Hz
Qts: 0.30
Vas: 3.20 cu.ft.
X-max: 1.5"
DCR: 4/coil
would a t-line for this sub even be worth the effort (and   money) or should i just go with a sealed enclosure. i am set on the sub since its a perfect match for my amp.
and if it helps, i drive a '92 isuzu rodeo and my amp is MTX Thunder 81000d.    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
shaggy_one469 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
and i am mostly after a fair split of SQ and SPL.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
No. I have searched for one, and even looked for actual software packages, and none of them offer even CLOSE to what should be available from a TL... Transmission lines are rarely an exact science, more trial and error than anything.
Pick up "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook", there is a chapter in it for calculationg TLs. While there are general numbers you can plug-in, you will not often build the "right" TL out of the gate.
I might also add that SPL is NOT the application for TLs. They are more applied for extreme SQ applications, and an SPL application is a travesty. A properly designed TL is a true audiophile subwoofer.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
shaggy_one469 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
so do you think i will be better off going with a sealed,   ported or bandpass? and about what size? i know the manufacturer reccomends a small sealed enclosure but im not sure.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
If you are interested in SQ at all, you will toss the band-pass from your vocabulary. NOT sound quality in any respect.
Sealed is the easiest, and the most predictable. In the car, a vented enclosure with deep response is often too big to be reasonable.
Yes, SMALL sealed enclosure will provide the best mix of SQ and SPL. I think Eclipse says 1.2 cuft net... I have that woofer, and I have it in (if I remember correctly) 1.2 cuft, gross, which is a bit small for it, but that allows a much tighter response, and higher mechanical power handling. The F3 is a little bit high for many people, but I am quite happy with it.
Forbidden may have some input for you as to the vented side. Rob?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic