icon

Polk DB vs MMC vs Infinity Perfects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimmyrose 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  

well these are my options from infnity and polk: (All in AUS dollars, so its about 70% of this in US)

Infinity Perfect 6.1 = $309 + $55 shipping = $365

Polk Momo MMC 6500 = $429

Polk Momo DB 6750 = $279

Which of you guys have these speakers, or have at least heard them, and what do you think. Price really isnt my worry at the moment (at least in this range), but if theres really not that much difference between the DB's and MMC's, it probably isnt worth the extra 150 bucks. 

This is basically going to make up my mind what i get (will be buying from ebay in next week or 2), as I have no access to listen to them myself where i live.

Basically whati know so far is they are all rated very high, but alot complain about the brightness of the infinity tweeters, and some say they are excellent. Almost the same result with the polks from what reviews ive seen.

So yeah, which ones you guys reckon???

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Dude come on your other thread was just fine.
No, Polk's are absolutly not, under any circumstances, worth real money. Seriously.
Now, you have three great brands here, (JL, JBL, and Infinity) and you're sniffing up the Polk? Come on...
Now, JBL is a sister company of Infinity, Harmon Kardon does *all* their engineering.... very competitive stuff coming out of both those companies....
*However*, back to the whole tweeter thing, tweets from *any* of these brands are going to be very hot, very bright speakers. I wouldn't put any of them in my car but I don't even wanna explain *my* front stage.
Look jimmy, bottom line, if ur worried about brightness you really gotta look at some other brands or a totally different front end. As far as the speakers you've posted, choosing between those is kinda like picking heads or tails; that is, you still have the same freakin coin when ur done.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jimmyrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

well im not worried about brightness a whole lot, but the amount of people that complain about them says they must be a whole lot of bright.

why dont u wanna explain yours?

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
No, Polk's are absolutly not, under any circumstances, worth real money. Seriously.

i have polk products and yea i paid with monopoly money.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
sprahl85 wrote:
What are you basing this on? Have you had bad experiences with them or something. I think they are a good company that does a good amount of testing before they release any products to the general public, and in general their component sets compete with some of the best on the market. Look at the SR6500 component set, it got ranked best component set of 2005 tied with Morel Elate 6.5's and Seas Lotus 6.5's (Car Audio and Electronics Magazine, November issue 2005, www.caraudiomag.com).
Uhh.. hmm. Okay.
Most my friends went to this high school. This high school happened to have a few guys that worked in the install bay of the local Circuit City, which sold, mostly, Polk, Sony, Infinity and JBL. These guys funneled lots of equipment into the school at Circuit City discount cost, and I ended up installing *alot* of it here and there. As I cut my teeth doing my friends cars for *years* I've gotten to play with some seriously *low end* stuff... Polks being the primary equipment that comes to mind. I've prolly done a dozen cars with Polk coaxials or componets running off deck power or amped.. either way.. my experience with these turds is always the same... that is... they remind me nothing so much as Sony headphones. Like not the $30 pair either, like the crap headset that comes with the Discman. Or maybe the $15 set of Altec-Lansing speakers that came with the Dell I'm typing this post on.
The Polks I've heard are always the same: No detail, no real midbass to speak of.. just a beefy midrange and a hollowed out tweeter.
I mean.. I dunno about the SL500KPX or whatever ur boy over at caraudiomag liked alot, but ... I mean ... honestly, I've never heard what Polk would try to sell for alot of money these days... I just know that the brand in general is not very competetive..
sprahl85 wrote:
I know I sound like a polk fanboy, but I have purchased many many car audio products from many manufacturers in my life and I have never had a polk product that I didn't think was "worth real money". I would say they were all worth every penny I paid.
No you don't sound like a fanboy if someone jumped up dissin equipment I'd like I'd call them on it too. I just .. you know .. have reasons for what I said.
To be honest, I think lotsa crap I pay for isn't worth real money. ..Cable television for example....
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
sprahl85 wrote:
overbright like infinity perfect series that i auditioned at frys and have installed in many vehicles of misguided individuals.
Okay jimmy, I just wanna point out to you, even though me and this guy clearly have totally different views on speakers in general, and probably like a totally different type of sound, both of us think the Perfect is a seriously whacked choice.
Consider yourself warned.
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  
Yea thats right. I'm triple posting.
And I don't care.
heh jimmy,
Okay heh I want you to look at the top of the forum to the post called "Dissatisfied with Alpine Amps" and follow the thread out to my post at the end where I question his speaker choices based on the fact his system is tuned perfectly and hooked up right.
Now, imagine the Perfect's being WAYYYY worse than those VR's he has.
That's what those speakers like.
I kid you not.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Wow.  I am all for companies having the top dollar, all-performance line, but I also believe the companies should produce a lower line for the somewhat budget minded individual that doesn't want to buy complete shhh like, pyramid, pyle, sony, etc.  For example, the infinity reference line,  it is by no means an all-performance line, but it is OK and doesn't break the bank to buy.  But infinity has the Perfects, which is geared towards all performance and paying for that performance.  It is the same way in every other reputable company.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
jimmyrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
Yea thats right. I'm triple posting.
And I don't care.
heh jimmy,

haha thats what they get for having no post edit option

jesus, i had really swung toward getting the infinity's and just playing with them until they sounded how i wanted them too.  i really wish i could listen to some of these bloody things, but living in a crappy town makes it damn hard.  what would be some other options. ive looked at focal, mb quart, still unsure..

looking at a phoenix gold 80Wrms x 2 amp

ganna go for another scout around on ebay and see what i can find

jimmyrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

ive actually heard focals before and i was impressed, but ive just realised all the ones i have access to are all rated at 60rms, why so low?

im actually really swinging towards the Polk MMC 6500's, despite what sedate has said. Main reason is i havent read a bad review yet (except his) and ive read a freakin lot of reviews. this is so frusrating not being able to listen to any of the suckers

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic