icon

New 160xv’s, What’s DEI doing?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Justaguy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  

So we just did our first 160xv with new software today and I looked over the programing guide and I have a few thoughts....

Only three settings for wait to start? Still no lock after start? No lock after shutdown? No adjustments for horn timing? No way to shorten lock pulses? Double pulse disarm...WTF is that? Have they fixed the arm and lock wire pulses so that they come on at the same time to arm most domestic alarms? Probably not. Did I read the program guide wrong? OMG!...Whats wrong with the engineers at dei? I'm going to send them an old astro2006 so that they can study it and maybe learn how a starter should work. They should stick to alarms.

How about a programer that plugs into the antenna, or maybe a program button on the antenna? That would be nice.  And whats with default settings? flashing park lights? autolocks on? Oh well, at least they added rear defrost on and off from the remote... whew! I was so worried they weren't going to have that...cause everyone adds rear defrost to every car...sure.

After crawling under dozens of dashes this week to program replacement remotes and change programing, I have to wonder why I sell these things. Dei is way behind other starter manufactures feature wise. They used to be reliable, but I've changed more remotes and antennas in the last while then I care to remember. And they really screwed up they're tach pick-up, won't work on alot of fords now...it used to be good.

I know I'm ranting, but I left work and had to put my remote against my windshield to get my viper to disarm and that was the last straw. So after installing and selling viper of and on since '97...no more vipers at my shop, I'm gonna sell compustar from now on. Too bad I don't have access to astrostart.

Any thoughts?

extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
with a bitwriter you can set the wait to start in 1 second increments.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
One of the worst things DEI ever did was go to the LED with a biult in valet button on the Automate stuff. What a POS that is. They want you to count flashes on it while your holding it in. HOW YOU GONNA SEE IT WITH YOUR FINGER ON IT??? Has anybody tried programming the 427A? it's just rediculous. They decided it needs the door closed to program, yet it still sees a trace of current on most cars and won't. You actually have to cut the door trigger wire to program it then reattach it afterwards!!! Junk. That's why i've been using Pursuit, it has pulse before, after, during crank, after crank, you name it.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
785VX has that too, I have noticed. The LED is bright enough that it shines through my finger (kind of a quasi ET effect), but it is an interesting little piece....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Justaguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
speaking of 785's, does anyone have the new manuals for them? I still haven't heard back from my rep yet.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

Most mauals are available on Directechs, they have always had lock after crank and arm/lock after timeout that i am aware of.... programable wait to start.... programmable timer mode run time..... they have a ways to go but i'd say the new features are a positive, not a negative....   oh sorry, did i interrupt a good rant??

i havent had a bum antenna or remote in years..... could it be you are misdiagnosing??

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Second the manuals on the site thing. It's a 52 page, 19MB pdf file, so hope you aren't in a hurry to print it, and don't mind killing a couple trees....
Gus
PS: Your rep wouldn't happen to be Gary.... would it?
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Justaguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
kgerry wrote:

Most mauals are available on Directechs, they have always had lock after crank and arm/lock after timeout that i am aware of.... programable wait to start.... programmable timer mode run time..... they have a ways to go but i'd say the new features are a positive, not a negative....   oh sorry, did i interrupt a good rant??

i havent had a bum antenna or remote in years..... could it be you are misdiagnosing??

Ya, just went to directtechs and they have updated the manuals, cause the ones i got with my 785's were way off. Thanks

No , as far as the lock programing....nothing. Viper doesn't have it.

And the remote and antenna issues are common

Yes the new programming is a plus...to bad it's not 1998...then they would be up to date.

Justaguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

gus1 wrote:
Second the manuals on the site thing. It's a 52 page, 19MB pdf file, so hope you aren't in a hurry to print it, and don't mind killing a couple trees....
Gus
PS: Your rep wouldn't happen to be Gary.... would it?

My reps isn't Gary, it's Al. Would have been nice to get a heads up on those manuals, I have a couple of pissed off customers.

redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  

dei does have auto lock after crank and timeout....it called arm and disarm wire....DEI IS the best r/s and alarm system on the market....there is a reason they have life time warrenty.....

Where theres is a wire there's a way.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic