icon

base coating

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

I am about to finish up my box and I was wondering.....

When I go to paint(rattle can) if I put a Crome base coat on it will the crome add to the shine of my metallic grey color coat.....

If not what type of basecoat should I apply

chrisne77 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
I've never used the chrome paint before. Most of the time your "color" coat completly covers anything under it. If you were spraying a candy color this would be a different story.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
The chrome paint isn't a good idea because if the paints don't match then your paint will start wrinkling up and stuff. this happen on my recent box. and when you put the clear on you should only put one good cote on, if you do then a reaction happens in the paint and it wrinkles up.
About the basecoat you should put on some primer and you should be fine. good luckbase coating -- posted image.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
personally i wouldn't do it.. since its rattle can.. its not going to lay down like ur standard base clear 2 stage paint.. since the rattle can is a different type of paint.. ex. like an arcylic.. im not sure the kind ur using... you could try a test piece to see what it does.. that is my best suggestion
S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

If in doubt try a test peice, i work in a paint shop (house painting though) and i usually tell people to try a smaple if there unsure that it will work.  I dont think a chrome basecoat will make alota difference to the topcoat becuase the topcoat is desiged to cover fairly well, but if it is shinier it wont be by very much

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
you can also have two stage rattle can paint to. first you have the color you are putting down and then you gust go out and buy some clear cote by rustolyam or something. that is what i did i used some metallic gunmetal and then i put a clear cote on it and this is rattle can not car paint.
base coating -- posted image.
this isn't a very good pic to show the shininess that it has but in the top part of the box you can see the reflection of something rippling. hope this helps
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
most paints that have two colours for a pearl effect one of those paints is transparent. which allows the 2 colours to shine through according to how it's made.  chance's are the chrome is just going to make the final colour lighter (rather then darker with a dark primer) and not do a thing for the metallic effect.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help guys......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic