the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Asian Wolf Alarms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cirrusly_fast 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I noticed to banner on this site for it and checked it out.
Anybody worked with these things yet. I'm pretty skeptical about alarms unless they are DEI or other well known and tested brands.
Cuz I'm Kewl Like That.
System: 1-12" Orion H2, Crossfire VR2000D,Odyssey C2150 battery
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Alot of them are rebadges scyteks
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
tsmithlxix 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

My last alarm just so happened to be the Asianwolf FM 2009.  It actually worked pretty well; it did everything that it claimed to do.  My only problem with it was the fact the the range drastically decreased when the temperature dropped.  The range was really good during the summer, but during the winter, it got to the point where it wouldn't disarm until I actually held the remote up to my car window.  I finally got tired of that and got a Commando FM870.  I'm not saying that ALL of their alarms would do that; that's just my experience.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
They're geared toward sales to professional installers only, if you check their warranty policy; no warranty applies to a DIY installation, so you may want to take that into consideration if you think you might have any problems.
Not sure if Sytek might honor the warranty even if it's just a rebadged unit, but they might.
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
don't think scytek will either
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
alarmsellout 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed the Asianwolf 2009 before and had a bad experience.
Here are the pro's an cons I encountered
CONS:
Remote Distance is really not that great. You must litterally be able to see your vehicle for it to work, and a lot of the time you can see your vehicle and it is not in range. What's this also mean? You know that paging button on the antenna? I left my friend sit in the vehicle and he would push the button to see how far the system would page him. Anytime I would go inside a store or there were any walls between us.. the system failed to page the remote. Why? The distance sucks. They advertise 2000 - 3000 feet my butt! It doesn't work 500 feet away half the time! So forget about the system paging you if someone breaks in your vehicle.
Here's a big problem I experienced.. and I don't know if it was the alarm or the automatic headlights causing it... The fuse on the Parking light output wire for the alarm constantly blows. It does it randomly and will work for 2 weeks and then blow. I haven't gotten through a month without the stupid thing blowing. So the parking lights just dont' flash now.
I even tried putting a higher fuse in.. guess what? It burned both the alarm's parking light wire and the vehcile's parking light wire! Talk about a nightmare.. I had to rewire part of the truck. (I'd love to send you some pictures if you can wait until after Christmas when I'll see my friend again.. (The parking lights just don't work now for the alarm.)
Next, the led light that came with it does NOT connect to the alarm without unplugging the antenna's led light! What's this mean? You CAN NOT use the antenna pager feature if you want your led light plugged in. Of course to fix that I figured out which of the 5 wires worked the led light.. Then I tapped into it. Another pain in the butt.
Moving on to the next problem with that system.. DOOR LOCKS door locks... Yeah.. where to even start. If your vehicle is like mine and requires more than just a low voltage signal to trigger the locks, you have to add a relay. But that's the only beginning.. My friend's truck unlocks randomly when driving. It will only do it when you drive and it's not all the time.. but every so oftain, you hear the door locks unlocking rapidly and then stop.. and then start again.. both his door motors burned up and he had to get new ones. Want to see receipts? I can provide them! BEWARE.. This alarm can cause major problems.
Now to the PROS:
It will always remote start your car without failing. And if it doesn't start the first time, it will start again.
It support relay switchs that stay on until you turn them off by remote. That is neat for adding under lighting..
I almost forgot... watch out for the false alarms.. It doesn't support dome light supervision delay either.. So if your dome light has a delay on it... that messes up arming the vehicle.
I recommend looking at a better system.. Spend the extra $30.00... It's really worth it in the long run when you don't have all the problems.
Oh yeah! I remembered another con.. IT DOESN'T KNOW IF THE VEHICLE GETS HOTWIRED!! It doesn't even monitor the ACC or Ignition wires so if your criminal gets past your door trigger,.. or climbs in the window.. your screwed! Nor does it support alarming if someone pushes on the brake during the remote start.. which means someone can steal your vehicle too.
Let me know how it works out for you. Hopefully you have better luck.
Best Regards,
Greg
Greg
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

alarmsellout wrote:
Here's a big problem I experienced.. and I don't know if it was the alarm or the automatic headlights causing it... The fuse on the Parking light output wire for the alarm constantly blows. It does it randomly and will work for 2 weeks and then blow. I haven't gotten through a month without the stupid thing blowing. So the parking lights just dont' flash now.
I even tried putting a higher fuse in.. guess what? It burned both the alarm's parking light wire and the vehcile's parking light wire! Talk about a nightmare.. I had to rewire part of the truck. (I'd love to send you some pictures if you can wait until after Christmas when I'll see my friend again.. (The parking lights just don't work now for the alarm.)

That's an interesting problem- was it set up with positive or negative polarity on the parking light relay output? 

Looked at the manual and the output is supposed to be limited to 10A max, so it said it shouldn't be wired to the headlights, unless a separate relay is used.

Even if it were overloaded, I wouldn't have expected it could fry the vehicle's parking light wiring, unless the tap point was some low gauge branch that doesn't normally carry the full current, or the automatic headlights do something funky like momentarily grounding out or something.

Might be worth measuring the current being drawn from the lights when you get back to it, to see if they're pulling too much from the output of the unit.

Boostcaraudio 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Remember to always get your alarms installed correctly. Failures mentioned can be caused by improper installation. Scytek Electronics is Precision Engineering. A company that manufactured OEM alarms for most companies now, 20 years ago. Truely the best Auto Security company out there. DEI alarms can't even touch Scytek's innovations, sorry. Price wise, Quality wise or functionality wise, nobody compares.
nava94 
Silver - Posts: 296
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2006 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
they can't touch them but they could sure in the hell patent them.Both DEI & Scytek alarms I've installed, both have there bugs they need to work out.example 2way paging came out which ever company brought it out first more power to them but the first batch DEI brought out they had to quickly go back and redo bcuz they sucked.remotes not receiving commands,remotes antenna breaking off, remotes not working.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic