icon

KickerCompVR CVR 12’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sealed-fate 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I just recently bought some KickerCompVR CVR 12's from Circuit City and the guy there said, "Wire them in series and parallel them". He wasn't very informative, so I found this place on the internet: https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
where you put in the number of speakers you havem and the impedance level of the speakers. So I filled it out, 2 speakers at 2 Ohm Dual Voice Coils and it said that I needed to wire my voice coils in series, and then wire the speakers in parallel.
Now my question is, after you already have your voice coils wired in series, and when it tells you to wire the speakers in parallel, does that mean from the speakers to the amp in parallel? And if that is right, my amp wont let me parallel it for some reason, it turns on the little red protection light.   My amp is a PowerAcoustic and it is stable at 2 ohms so I don't think it is the amp. Right now the speaker's voice coils are in series but the wires to the amp are just negative and positive on the left and right channels. If anyone could let me know what I may be doing wrong, or why my amp is being hard headed, I would be much appreciated.
Now I got to go and get ready to go to work :(
Later and   thanks!
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
KickerCompVR CVR 12’s -- posted image. 
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
That diagram is exactly how my stuff was wired, but it didn't work and I don't know why...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
Test the amp like this:  remove the wires from the second sub.  You are left with one sub wired to 4 ohms.  Attach that 4ohm load to the amp.  Now what does it do?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  
I suppose you mean remove one speaker when it's negative and positive on left and right channels or when it's parallel.. anyway in the morning I am going to look at it some more.
thanks
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, this morning I unplugged one subwoofer, nothing that seemed wrong happened except for one speaker not working because it was unplugged. so I went ahead and tried to parallel them to the amp again and now my amp isnt throwing the protection light ... weird, BUT my left subwoofer isnt hitting (not like the right one is, the left one is moving when the right one hits but I don't know if its the vibration from the right speaker)   I should mention before when it was hooked up negative and positive to each left and right channels, the right subwoofer wasnt working, like the left subwoofer is doing now. I figured there was a loose connection or something on the right one but now im not sure since it just swapped over to the left.   
I'm not sure whats going on and it's driving me crazy I can't get nothing to work like it's supposed too. Does it sound like theres a posible loose connection on both speakers? I'm going to take them out and check anyway. I'm scared my amp is screwed (hope not)
thanks for the help
eklipz17 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I had a similar problem a while back to what you're describing. They were CVR's as well. But the amp was a pos Jensen that I used temporarily and I think the RCA jacks on the back of my old hu were bad. Because if I switched RCA's on the amp, 1 sub would hit and the other would barely move, and if I switched the RCA's back around, the opposite sub would hit, and the one that was working would barely move. I tried the same thing on a different amp and different RCA's, and the problem stayed.

It could be a few reasons why the amp kicks into protection mode.  My guess is, the subs are drawing out too much from the amp. I had a friend who had 2 15" CVR's and a small 2-channel amp and everytime the bass would hit, it'd go into protect. mode, and if the volume was past a certain level, it would shut off again. I told him to get a bigger amp, and afterwards never had that problem.

I could be way off from what you're describing, but hope I helped a little.

sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply, but I think it might be a wiring problem since I did it in a rush (i never have time for doing a good job, always busy and in a rush hehe) but it's weird the second time i parallel it to the amp it's not throwing the protection light, but maybe that's because of the other speaker is not working :P But if I can get both speakers hitting at the same time and it throws the protection light I am going to turn down the max level on my amp, like you said eklipz it might be getting too much power cuz my thousand watt amp is turned on max, plus those speakers being bridged and stuff.   Once again thanks for trying to help, I appreciate every reply that I get KickerCompVR CVR 12’s -- posted image.
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
"like you said eklipz it might be getting too much power cuz my thousand watt amp is turned on max"
This makes me think you have your gain all the way up and that is what is probably causing your problems.
That Power Acoustic amp isn't putting out 1000 watts if that is what they rated it at.
sealed-fate 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure what "gain" is, as theres not a control on my amp that says gain. What is considered the gain on my amp? The max level knob?   Anyway something weired has happened, I let my dad fix my box because those Kickers kept busting the wood and the plexiglass would fall out (it is a bandpass box) and anyway he fixed it with tough wood, compared to the other, and then he set it back in the car... I came home and i hooked it up and now my amp is letting me have it in Parallel to the amp, and I haven't touched any controls. Anyway the point is he did nothing related to the speakers and just by taking the box out and putting it back in made a difference (even though it really didnt)...    Just one of those weird moments, anyway now im bumpin like I was wanting to. Thanks all for the help, if i have any problems again you'll probably hear from me
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic