icon

Sealed box size in relation to power

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
I couldn't find anything on this with a search.
In my Kicker Sub manual it states that the power handling for the subs decreases as the size of the sealed box increases.
I would think that it would be the opposite because there is more air to move in a larger sealed box and more power would be needed to move that additional amount of air.
Could someone explain this in detail please?
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

your compressing air. the smaller area of air to compress the faster it compresses.   the more area there is the longer or more travel it takes to compress the air.

does that help any?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
It is not an electrical power handling reduction. Not as much as you are thinking it is. There is some of that, but it is more a mechanical power handling reduction. When the enclosure gets larger, the "springiness" of the air decreases - it is not as stiff - and therefore the control exerted over the woofer cone is reduced.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

Hi guys, this post has nothing to do with car auido, rather is a quiestion I´d appreciate someone to answer...

Recently, I bought the famous eau de toilette MANIA, of Armani at Mcallen downtown, it was a great price(35 bucks plus taxes)  ..but now that i´m wearing it it smells very soft, I know it is original it is not an imitation but I just want to know why is this a lot soft than another that a friend got at a different store???

thanks!

mariocesar 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

luckydevil:

what your manual states is the bigger is the sealed box....the less power you need to move the sub....it´s like if you were in a small room ,your room for example and want to produce echoe by yelling....it would be much easier  for you to produce it in a big room,or if you wanna see this way...you won´t need to yell to loud to produce echoe...

more or less...it is the same thing....big boxes helps produce louder sound!

luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2005 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the explanations guys.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic