icon

Power needed for DVC subs in parallel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nick_ss 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

Thankyou Alpine Guy. Out of curiosity, do the M1000 and  M1001 have high level inputs, or just low level?

Cheers,

Nick

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

So that means you're using the factory deck?  This is what you need to know about this kind of setup:  OEM decks were made to power OEM speakers without the aid of outboard amplification.  The only signal output they will provide is the high level speaker output which you were referring to.  High level signals are higher voltage but noisier than the low level outputs (RCA) provided on aftermarket decks.  This setup involves more precise work and a high quality converter.  So why not use the built-in high to low converter that the amp provides?  Because it's free.  It's built as a freebie and works like a freebie.  So don't use it.  Use a quality converter made by some of the better manufacturers of these types of devices.  (Search for LOC or converter for links and recommendations.)

You also stated above:  but I was also told that using an amp that is too small would have too work at it max, therefore creating harmful distortion.

That's not right.  An amplifier working at its capacity will provide clean output.  That's what capacity means...its uppermost limit.  It is when you set it to go beyond its limits that it clips the signal.  This is taken care of in the process of setting gain to match the clean output of the deck.

And you should also know this:  an OEM deck will normally go into clipping at about halfway on the volume dial.  You have to find that point and set the amp's gain to reach its highest output at that point.  You can't assume the "3/4 rule" with OEM decks.  Using the test tone procedure, you will hear clipping from the deck the same way you hear it from the amplifier (but at a quieter level because the amplifier will not be processing the signal).  This will leave you with a rather narrow range to adjust the volume, just so that you're aware.

And oh, Alpine Guy is the one you want to hear from about choices of Alpine amps!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, he's eclipse guy now but he keeps the good stuff all to himself. Power needed for DVC subs in parallel - Page 2 -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nick_ss 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, I will be using the OEM deck (with a H->L signal converter now seeing as you state the built-in one in the amp is not the best) but the OEM deck will only be used temporarily, until I decide what HU I want and what I'm going to use for the rest of the system. (Subs are an Xmas pressie that I'm getting) What about a sub x-over? Should I use an external one or is there one built into the Alpine monos? (Alpine Guy?)

Nick

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
The built in one will do just fine. Later when you get a deck, you may opt to use the built in ones there . EIther way the use of external x-over should be limited to absolute necessity.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic