icon

Remote start voids warrantee?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssweb 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hi there, I am a little new to this forum and have what I think is a simple question.

Actually I came upon this forum while looking for info on installing a remote start on 2001 Toyota Sienna.

After looking around a little and finding some very good information. I decided to call the dealer and ask if they had a solution. Being completely informed from all areas is most important to me. I was told by them that they do not and that any installation of one would void the warrantee.

If that is the case then why would anyone want to install this remote starter??

Thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Correct, now go back to the dealer and have them put it in writing. Ask the dealer if they are familiar with the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. Here is a link for you to read up on. The dealer needs to pull their head out of the sand. This is a scare tactic only but as correctly pointed out by bobk above, if a installed device causes the  issue, then warranty will not cover that issue. Meaning if your remote starter stays engaged, melts the starter and the wiring, the dealer may indeed deny a warranty claim on that part of the vehicle up until the point that the damage was repaired. This is why a good install is crucial first and foremost. A good install will prevent the likelihood of issue occuring that may affect the vehicle warranty. Here is that link.

http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=8124

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BigDog
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Correct, now go back to the dealer and have them put it in writing. Ask the dealer if they are familiar with the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. Here is a link for you to read up on. The dealer needs to pull their head out of the sand. This is a scare tactic only but as correctly pointed out by bobk above, if a installed device causes the  issue, then warranty will not cover that issue. Meaning if your remote starter stays engaged, melts the starter and the wiring, the dealer may indeed deny a warranty claim on that part of the vehicle up until the point that the damage was repaired. This is why a good install is crucial first and foremost. A good install will prevent the likelihood of issue occuring that may affect the vehicle warranty. Here is that link.

Have them put it in writing......then threaten them with legal action....scare tactics work both directions.....

They are miss-informed.....OR UN-informed

yg17 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
The dealer is full of it. The only way they can deny a warranty claim is if the problem can be proven to be caused by the modification. They may not cover your starter, but if you have engine trouble, or a power window motor goes, they have to cover it since there's no way RS could cause either of those problems.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Here is that link.

Hey, Rob... (and anybody else that might have relevant information regarding this subject!) I have been looking for this very information (and really this web-site), but I was hoping you might be able to help a little further, as it seems you are more familiar with M-M act than I am.
And, while this request has nothing to do with cars or car audio, it does deal specifically with warranties. I have a laptop and the keyboard, while still functional, is not perfectly functional and I have called the manufacturer for the part, as I am perfectly capable of installing a keyboard in a laptop. (My MANY certificates hanging from my wall tell me I could probably handle the job...) The laptop is out of warranty, and they claim they will not sell me the part, but I have to send the machine to them for repair. They want to charge me 100 dollars to install a 37 dollar keyboard, and I will be without the laptop (a TOOL to me - not a toy), and they also warned me that *IF* I send it in, it is standard procedure to format the drive and re-install the OEM operating system. (That HUGE turd known as XP Home Edition) I thought this is completely rediculous, but they said there is nothing I can do about it.
Are you by chance aware of anything out there that says a manufacturer cannot demand they repair an out-of-warranty product, mandating I be without my notebook for 3 to 4 weeks?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

Note that the MM act in particular pertains to the US market, but it also applies in part here in Canada as our laws are somewhat similar.

Consider this. The manufacturer does not have to sell you the part. Personally I think that their way of doing business is wrong as it will no doubt piss off the people that are capable of doing such non-warranty work. I don't think that you have a leg to stand on here unfortunately. You can if you choose to have them do the work, dictate to them that you do not want the turd installed, nor the reformat. Get that in writing somewhere for sure. My suggestion would be to find a authorized repair facility for them and see if you can buy the part through them.

A nice full page ad in a newspaper that outlines their business practices would not hurt either. Remote start voids warrantee? -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic