icon

2 10w7's or 2 13w6v2's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
im looking at gettin 2 new subs and i was wondering what is gonna hit harder, 2 10w7's or 2 13w6v2's? they would be runnin off a jl 1000/1 amp? any ideas what is gonna give me the most spl or does anyone have a better idea on some subs that are gonna hit harder for around the same price or cheaper?
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
the 13w6's will give you far, far more volume. Not only are they more efficent, they are freakin HUGE! I had for for like a year... it was a great, great speaker... if you have the space and the power.
The w6's will a be a right bit louder and sound damn near as good... either woofer will sound utterly outstanding.. the w6's have a tonality to them that is just out-of-this world.
Here's the rub, if you can't give those 13's AT LEAST 3.5' to breath... don't even bother with them. They need a BIG, BIG box to sound good. "Small box excellence redefined" my rear!
Clearly, I'd go with the 13's.
Then you can tell people "I have a pair of 13's" and you get to watch thier jaw drop. It was fun and I only had *one* ... having a massive pair of speakers like that peaking over a 1000/1?
The thought gives me *goosebumps*
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
i have a blazer and i wasnt planning on having any trunk space left anyway so 3.5 wont be a problem, but i was thinkin about maybe adding a 3rd 13 to that maybe, how hard was the 1 13 hittin becuse i want bass that is jsut going to be crazy
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
To be honest, I have Adolescent Bass Disease, and it wasn't quite where I wanted it....   I had to build ALOT of boxes for it before I realized how *big* they really needed to be... I have a stack of 13" MDF circle cut-outs like a foot high from all the boxes I put together.. although, the SINGLE 13w6 hit HARDER than the PAIR of CDT 12's I have now..
I was feeding the thing an 1800D@2-ohms.. so the better part of 800watts... Keep in mind that a 1000/1 will show a real world 1600 watts to a reactive load.
The last box I had it in, which is the one it died in due to a structural failure (the fiberglass in the box held for about a week), sounded *INCREDIBLE*... best bass I've ever had... a 1.70' box with a single 3" port tuned to 33hz. INCREDIBLE sound. I mean LOUD, LOUD, SQ. Seriously, if you have the space, port a pair of these in a 3.5 - 4' box, you *really* won't regret it.
Dude a pair of these things seeing a 1000/1 will give you bass that is probably among the nastiest things you could do to a car...
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Oh yea I'm double posting.
Dude, just to let u know, if you want bass that is "just crazy" a pair of 10w7's is probably among the *least* efficent way you could harness a 1000/1... not that it wouldn't be loud, I mean, clearly, it would be very much so... but ultimatly, showing that little cone area (especially with surrounds that massive) to that many watts really is a *waste* if you are going to after SPL..
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
I would go with the W6's. I've put in some W7's and they were okay..but not worth the money.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
ragoal12 
Copper - Posts: 135
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

well you have 2 different great setups to choose from.. i have a couple of friends each with full jl audio systems...

the first is in a grandam and he has 2 10w7's ran off a 1000/1.. i believe the box is about 3.5 cubes

the second a blazer with a single 13w7 ran off a 1000/1.. in about a 6 cube box....

since u want crazy bass the 13s are ridiculously loud... im not sure of exact power handling of the w6 but the w7 can handle 2000 watts rms so you would be under powering them alot... but the thing with the 2 10w7s is i believe they actually sound better.. the 13 seems to be missing certain frequencies that the 10s play beautifully and make it a better sounds system.... so if u want clarity in your sound i say the 10's... either way the system will pound...

oh ya almost forgot... we put the 2 10's setup on a meter and it hit a 148 dB with the media expander off on the kids alpine headunt.. so we believe it willl do a 150... we haven't tested the single 13 but it should top the mid 150s dB range.... be sure to upgrade your alternators and what not as the 1000/1 is very power hungry.. in the blazer there is a stinger 235 amp ho alt and a batcap and the voltage will still drop even while driving

S.O.B custsoms.. South Omaha, Nebraska
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
i 3'ed the w6's they will sound crazy good oooooooooooooo w6's i like. if i had the money i would do it to.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic