icon

Type-R box volume

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hellyhans 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

hey people.. well I ordered my 1 10" box and some people for telling me that the specs given by alpine to build a sealed box would make it sound like crap

They recommend:
gross volume range :0.5-0.8
optimum sealed box:
gross internal:0.65
Net internal 0.6
Now my needs are for a sealed box as I don't want a bigger box in the truck,I do not want SPL, iam more SQL, I listen to metal/rock,not hard bass hitting rap.
What do you people think and recommend?
Thank you

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
the 10" type R likes a smaller box, i tested mine from .5 cu ft to 1.25 cu ft and the best i ended up with for a broad range sound was approx 0.7-0.8 cu ft
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
hellyhans 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
the 10" type R likes a smaller box, i tested mine from .5 cu ft to 1.25 cu ft and the best i ended up with for a broad range sound was approx 0.7-0.8 cu ft

this was a sealed enclosure I suppose.. was it a 10" ??

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2005 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
If you don't like the sound of the box you could try adding some polyfill in it. Use about 1 pound per cf of space. You will have to experiment with it though. Stuffing too heavily ends up doing the opposite of what you want (taking up box space instead of simulating a bigger box).
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I have last years type-r 10 and the box its in is right around .8 ft3.  It sounds great.  I listen to the same types of music, and IMO my jl 8's sounded better for that but the ten will rock on the lower bass notes.  If you have the space and the time you could just build the biggest box reccommended and then use a solid object like a brick to "remove" airspace if you need to.  Play with it and see what sounds best.
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic