icon

Wake up GEM on 2005 Ford Focus?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
louiemcfarland 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

I have been searching "the12volt" for help on how I can get my after-market alarm to wakeup the GEM so the remote's unlock button will unlock the doors (if the GEM goes to sleep). I have seen many references to "2 pulse, 1st to door ajar input to wakeup GEM and 2nd to unlock doors" (see discussion at: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=13531&KW=Ford+GEM). I also noted a discussion where it was mentioned I could monetarily pulse "ignition on" to wakeup the GEM (using relay).

The "pulse door ajar" does not work on my 2005 Ford Focus. I locked doors using driver side lock button, waited 2 minutes (GEM asleep), door unlock button does not work, I manually grounded driver door trigger and dome light comes on.. BUT unlock button still will not work (GEM asleep). If I manually move the "door lock lever" to unlock, then ground door trigger the GEM will wakeup and the unlock button works..

The "monetarily pulse ignition on" does work. I locked the doors using driver side lock button, waited 2 minutes (GEM asleep), door unlock button does not work, I turned the key to "ignition on", then back off, and the unlock button works (GEM is wakeup after turning key on/off). I prefer not to setup my alarm this way. The ignition will always be "monetarily pulsed" every time I unlock my car using my alarm's remote control.

My 2005 Ford Focus has factory keyless entry (but no factory alarm). Is there simply a wire that I can "ground" using the negative unlock wire from my alarm that will wakeup the GEM (ie: alarm disable, even though my car does not have factory alarm). I have a Magicar FAI-300. I have "double diode" the 4 door triggers and everything works perfectly except "GEM problem". As long as I don't lock my car using the driver side door lock button all works great! Also, my alarm can be set to either .5 second or 4 seconds "lock/unlock time". It is currently on .5 second. I assume 4 seconds setting would work as "double pulse"? The alarm manual doesn't specifically reference the words "double pulse".

All help is appreciated.

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
I still do the ignition trick as the other one doesn't work as you mentioned.. And yes anytime you unlock the ignition turns on for a second.. You still need to double pulse though it won't do it on the first pulse regardless.
Mike
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

In my experience with the Focus, as long as the car is unlocked (double pulse to unlock all doors) using your Ford remote, and never again locked via the Ford remote, the GEM will not go to sleep.  I've done a few of these cars ranging from 2000 to 2005 and this has always been the case.  Have I just been lucky??

Keith
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
I think you've been lucky.  If you lock the door with the driver switch with the door open, and then shut the door the gem will fall asleep.  I don't remember what I did to wake up the gem at the moment.  I have a focus coming in later this week for a r/s keyless so I'll let ya know then.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
ruse 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

I get this problem often its called SLAM LOCK. Locking your doors and closing them makes the unlock circuit go dead after 30 seconds of the dome light turning off. Then the only way to unlock the doors is with the factory remote or the key in the lock. Even using the switch on the door inside will not unlock the door. I do installs for Ford. I have 2 ways I fix this.

1) If your Focus has perimeter alarm send a negative pulse (best wire to use is factory alarm disarm wire if your aftermerket alarm or remote start has this wire) to the BLACK/ white, if it does not have a perimeter alarm use the BLACK / YELLOW wire both can be found in the left kick panel. (Note: There is more then one BLACK / YELLOW wire on being the unlock wire.)

2) I have not verified this on a focus but in the drivers manual for the car under locks. It will tell you how to turn off the AUTO LOCK feature. Turning this feature off also take away the slam lock. This works on Taurus and Explorers. As I said I have not verified this on the Focus.

Another trick I have tried and works on some cars is close all your doors, lock it with your remote and the slam lock will not turn on.

Ford Authorized Accessory Installer/Dealer
redroc 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
If you find the BLACK/ green in the kick panel this will unlock the drivers door only(rest will still be in bcm shut down mode).Pulse this wire the door pin wire and the unlock wire all at the same time and the system will wake up.You will have to set it for double pulse unlock,and diode isolate everything!
louiemcfarland 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

I tested unlocking 2 times (driver, then all doors) using factory keyless remote on my 2005 Focus, then putting the remote away (not to be used again). The GEM does not go asleep again and my Magicar alarm works fine, UNTIL I lock the door with driver door lock button, then it falls asleep in 2 minutes! I then have to use my key to unlock the door (which also wakes up the GEM again).

I have also turned off the AUTOLOCK feature on the Focus, but GEM still goes asleep if I use driver door lock button. My Focus does not have a perimeter alarm and one of the BLACK / YELLOW wires is the driver front door trigger wire, which I use. Negative to that wire does not wake up the GEM (but does turn on dome light). Maybe a different BLACK / YELLOW will wake up GEM?

I'll look for the BLACK/ green (driver door only) unlock wire and try that idea too.

Thanks to all for replies. I looking for a simple / easy solution (if possible)...

ruse 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
If all else fails this has got to work. In the drivers kick the yellow/black driver door motor unlock wire. Cut this wire and wire it thru a relay and diode isolate the negative unlock wire from your alarm to the relay and to the unlock wire. pressing unlock on you remote should unlock the drivers door atleast and hopefully wake the GEM module up and unlock all doors. Otherwise press unlock again and see if the GEM woke up after the drivers door ulocked and will open the rest of your doors. If this works you will just have drivers door priority just like the factory. But wiring a relay for sure will atleast unlock the drivers door since the actuators rest at ground and you will be supplying your own power with the relay to activate the actuator.
Ford Authorized Accessory Installer/Dealer
chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Check and see if the door pin wire rest at ground. If it does you need to cut the door trigger wire and hook one side of the wire to 87a and the other side to 30 wire 86 to 12v and 85 to neg unlock output from the alarm. Also hook the neg unlock output up to unlock wire set the alarm for double pulse unlock.
chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a link to a diagram of it.http://directechs.com/techtips/pdfs/resources/security/directed_techtips/1094.pdf

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic