icon

Why are stock system getting better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
Hey everybody, today i heard an 05' toyota avalon jbl synithsis system. This by far was the best sounding stock system I've ever heard IMHO. The mids was clear and the tweeter was very accurate and the bass was pretty good. I've been an installer for many years and I've seen guys spend thousand of dollars and there system didnt even sound as good. I'm a sound quality guy and the sound quality was the best that I've heard of for a stock system.My beef is that, if car manufacturers keep making systems like this us installers and shop owners will go out of business.My real problem is the car audio manufacturers there the ones that 's cutting everyones throat installers, shop owners and there own throat. They lose business in the aftermarket by providing to OE. Is car audio dead? I just want everyones opinion on this subject. And I just want to say thank you to all that take the time to read and reply. Happy Holidays.
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 3:04 AM / IP Logged  

consumers want a good sounding stock system. auto makers want a added selling point. but i do not think that will keep people from buying aftermarket equipment.  premium stock systems are a guarantee that manufactures can make money, if they sell 100 amps to "Jose audio hut" or 10,000 total systems to Toyota. they are making $$ both ways, OEM units are not as high quality as the aftermarket units, most consumers know that and will want to upgrade. to get the desired sound they are after even if it's just a simple sub install.  all the stock systems ive heard are ear fatiguing and i want to turn them off after a wile.       is car audio dead?

no,

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Is car audio dead? What?
Demand for car audio products has increased drastically, which is why the Avalon has that JBL system; it makes it much more likely to sell at the dealer.
riceman wrote:
My beef is that, if car manufacturers keep making systems like this us installers and shop owners will go out of business.
Well yea that's capitalism at work. If your install skills never progress beyond amps and speakers and subs, then, yes, as cars get better and better systems demand for those skills will wane. To be honest, its pretty low anyway. I wait tables and I make as much than any installer I've ever met. You know... market based wage-determination..
On the other hand, the supposition that people will tire of customizing thier vehicles is just goofy. The love people have of screwing with there cars is absolutely universal. Besides, no matter how good OE car stereos become, they will *never* come with things like multiples of 10's or 12's... so people like me will *always* need the aftermarket..
riceman wrote:
They lose business in the aftermarket by providing to OE
Why *would* a company care about the aftermarket anyway when they nail OE contracts? You really think JBL cares more about their "powervalve" amps over OE contracts from a company as massive as Toyota? JBL doesn't care about you dude, they care about dollars. Indeed, being bundled with a vehicle as high-end as the Avalon does nothing but raise JBL brand awareness and promote two products that are already precieved highly in the marketplace..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 7:18 AM / IP Logged  

like the last guy said, Its all about money. These manufactures are building cheaper and cheaper passable parts and raising the prices every year, 10 years ago a high dollar head unit would last a lifetime, my brother has an alpine head unit he bought back around 90, paid 400+ at a stereo shop and its out lasted 5 trucks/vans it still sounds as good today as it did 5 years ago and i'm pretty sure that if you can get past the tape player it would easily last another 10 years, i seriously doubt anyone will make that claim about a new alpine unit. Again i'm not trashing the companies its just the way the world is shifting, my brand new alpine does things no one would of thought about 10 years ago and today its needed because people require more quality and features, car manufactures are in the same boat people realize they can upgrade and get better sound quality in the aftermarket, they add this into the cost of the car they are thinking about buying, if ford can put in a premium sound package its a selling point.

Most higher end customers will be happy with this for awhile. Now the true audiophile will upgrade as quickly as they can get the cash out of their wallets, some will want tricked out fiberglass enclosures with systems so loud it shatters the rear window others just want improved sq over factory, in the end the aftermarket will benefit from this because companies like jbl are making more money off cheaper products that meet OE specs and provide added sound, this translates into them making better and hopefully more affordable aftermarket alternatives, it will also lead to tighter competition between aftermarket audio sources because if you have a jbl factory system and memphis audio wants your business their stuff must be good enough to convince you to spend the cash for their new products.

riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

I love hearing all of these opinions. I agree with a few of you guys. For starters I will never be happy with a stock system they will never come with a pair of subs. My point is that a majority of customers will be very happy with the stock sound I not talkinng about the guys on this forum . If everybody is like me they will never be happy with stock. Take for example the avalon the only thing that customer bought was an ipod interface. I think car audio is slowing down alot compared to the 90's. The real money is in the sat.,nav.,ipod and multimeadia nowadays.Well I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies.

godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2005 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
They are getting better, but the ratio of price to quallity is much worse. I have seen on a lincoln navigator pay 8,000 dollars for a THQ system. They sounded pretty dam good, but i could get a center channel to and reproduce the same system for about half the price.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Glowinlow22 wrote:
like the last guy said, Its all about money.
Well... sort of. Its all about consumer demand... and new cars don't sell with the 5watt deck and the paper full-ranges anymore... just look at... uh... power accessories. Great example. 10 years ago it was impossible to find a new car without some $400 markup for power windows... now, its impossible to sell even the most stripped down model without them... window rollers, to my knowledge, are gone completely.. consumers wouldn't purchase new cars in the market place with that feature... same with stereos now...
The only difference is that they've brought up the quality from non-existant trash to, what I would consider, median $60-bookshelf speaker SQ ...
So, like I said.. lotsa room here, lotsa room.
riceman wrote:
The real money is in the sat.,nav.,ipod and multimeadia nowadays.
Exactly. This is what the majority of consumers with disposable cash want... not earth shattering stereos.. *smart* installers will get great at this stuff... particularly at new-car integration. The stuff they're doing with dashes today gives me a headache seriously..
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic