icon

LED Voltage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

So I'm looking to replace the LEDs inside the dash switches on my '92 Pathfinder - - they've finally all gone out.

Can someone tell me what voltage these would be? Would they be full 12V? Unfortunately, I did not measure the voltage on the (+) lead coming into the switch to see if it's reduced to a lower voltage. All I tested was that there was current there - using my 12V tester. So I am assuming they are 12V.

Talking to local electronics stores here, they typically do not carry 12V LEDs. Three, four and five volt are more common. They suggested I could add a resistor to the circuit to knock the voltage down, but this would require a little more work. I assume that in this case I would simply put a resistor in the (+) lead feeding the switch?

Any thoughts?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the quick reply - - just realized that I posted in the wrong forum. Maybe I'll repost in the LED forum as well.

As for your comments. The factory switch is a toggle that is pretty simple - just a set fo contacts that slide accross one another. I did not see any printed circuit board inside the switch itself.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
charlie_one 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

The older pathfinders (atleast 96 and erlier) has full 12 volts to the bulbs in the svitches, they just have low watts.

Im about to put 3.3volt leds whit a 470 resistor in my pathy -88 svitches, but im afraid that ill have to have the resistor out behind the svitch, it is pretty little room inside it.

Where the asphalt ends, the Pathfinder way begins.
/New nissan 4x4 saying /
Ps sorry for my halfbad english ds
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks Charlie_one, perfect information. It's GREAT to see another Pathfinder owner on the forum.

I took a little closer look at the "bulb" which I happened to take to work with me. It is actually a bulb and not an LED as I thought earlier. So I'm not sure what I'll do right now. I'm heading to an electronics store right after work to see what they have. If they have small bulbs like this, I'll likely just replace the bulbs with the same. If not, I'll probably go to small LEDs as well. But you're right, the resistor will have to be outside the switch assembly.

Thanks again.

BTW, have I seen your name around this Nissan Forum - it looks a little familiar. If not, you should register. The more the better...

http://www.nissanforums.com/index.php?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
charlie_one 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Alredy a member LED Voltage -- posted image., it was there ill did find the link to this awsome page !!
/New nissan 4x4 saying /
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

Cool. Yeah, I think I've posted links to this site on that forum in the past as well. This site was a lifesaver when I installed the remote starter in our Pathfinder.

Another reason I love the internet - - GREAT info - - FREE!!!!

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
charlie_one 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
Oboy, ill should have a VERY small bankacount, if it wasnt for the net LED Voltage -- posted image. LED Voltage -- posted image.
/New nissan 4x4 saying /
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

UPDATE...

I picked up a few small 12v bulbs at the electronics store yesterday, and went home to repair the switches. Turns out that not all the switches are infact backlit. I was hoping that they would all have lights, but not all of them do. Unfortunately, the switch for the rear window wiper is not lit - - that would have been a good one to have.

Also, when I put the Auto Transmision switch (right beside the rear wiper) back together, I think I may have gotten things a little screwed up. The switch has a little ball bearing in it, which I thought I got in the right place, but now the orange light that indicates which tranny mode I'm in, seems to want to come on, no matter which position the switch is in. If I toggle the switch a bit, it will go off, but things obviously are not right...

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
charlie_one 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
Did you got to work yet, Zilver ¿
/New nissan 4x4 saying /
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
No, I haven't looked at this any further, the light seems to be staying off at this point. I think the switch is working, it's just that I must have gotten the ball bearing in there wrong, so that the light function is a little off. Either way, I typically don't use this switch anyway.
Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic