icon

System turns off at higher volumes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thegame3202 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone.  I wired up two- 12" alpine type E subs the other day, to a 600watt alpine amp.  They bump pretty good up to about volume 13, (alpine head unit as well), then my whole system turns off and reboots when I go a little higher.  It flashes maybe once then it goes off.  Any theories behind why this happens?  It's a 1998 cavalier-STOCK that it's installed in.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
ddsubman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
What part of the system goes out? If its' just the sub amp cutting off, it could very well be an impedance problem. How is it wired?
Gettin' deafer by the day.......96' GMC yukon-Eclipse CD 5442HU
MA Audio HK4000D-Digital Designs 9515F
150+db with one woofer...DD rules!!!!
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Head unit shuts off? or amp shuts off?
thegame3202 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Everything shuts off.  So I guess the head unit must turn off.  It like flickers with bass, then goes out.  Subs are plugged into a mono amp, so they are wired one sub to the other.  and one of them is plugged into the amp.  But They work fine until like the Alpine volume level 13+.  Thanks for the help so far!
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
could be the head unit itself or a power draw problem from your charging system.  How are the subs wired? Make sure that your amp is stable for the load your putting on it. 
thegame3202 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

It's a mono amp, so it is stable how I have it wired.  it's a alpine V12 amp.  My friend jsut said he thinks that they take 14.4V.  Is that right?  If it is, then it could be my alternator is too small right?

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  
Test for voltage across the amp's power and ground terminals as the system cuts off and see what you get.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
thegame3202 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm.  Would that be the same thing as my display on my amp?  It says 14.X usually.  X usually is between 2-8.  Or do you mean, check to see if where I have it grounded is enough for how much power is going through?  do you think it is a problem with my amp?  Cuz you would think that my whole deck wouldn't turn off.  But ur smarter than me.  How do I test that?
tazman100 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
i have a system in my 1997 honda prelude with all alpine in it i mean everything alpine but the subs and those are jl audio but i have the two screen display and my head unit shuts off but the subs are still working and after about 5 mins. everything comes back on!! but the strange thing is, is that only the subs work but the head unit is still on but none of the buttons work on it and everything just stops!!
thegame3202 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
I figured out the problem.  My alternator is not big enough, and my battery is not good enough....stock battery and alternator.  I called ALPINE tech support.  So thanks for all the feedback guys!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic