icon

Cold Weather = Alarm/wiring problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Wanted to know if anyone has any problems with their Alarm or various electronic problems with their car when it gets freezing outside?
Examples:
1. I remote start my car, it starts... auto kills it self, restarts... auto kills again, restarts... kills the last time.
(this must be a common problem because i've talked to a few people with Remote starts and they have the same problem)
2. Interior Dome light does not turn on or delays.
3. Alarm LED not acting the way it should and siren slightly sounds diffrent.
4. Aftermarket Tach (which is wired directly to the Distributor) is at 0rpm until the cabin temp is warmed.
Note the systems always work prefectly fine in normal weather conditions... but when winter comes, these problems always come back. All connections are soldered and perfect...
Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?
What could be the problems?
Thanks all!
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 3:53 AM / IP Logged  
never seen it myself. see a few posts with similar problems though
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
gotcha, i was just searching and reading some of the common problems with the cold starts, however they do not apply to this situation... here is what I have so far:
::I have the Tach wire hooked up (not just a voltage sence like most)
::The car cranks and DOES start, but kills itself then restarts... kills... and so on.
::There is no Stock Theft devise i had to pass or anything, so thats not interfering.
Note, This is an older "Black Widow" 2-way FM alarm which I installed 3 years ago. This problem happens a few times every Winter, however this winter it happens almost all the time (i assume because it's so much more colder out then normal?).
Thoughts?
Thanks again all!
Craig3708 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
What type of vehicle is this???
Craig
isus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a bypass issue.  what car is it in?  I had a bad batch of boards in some scytek units.  The maufacturing plant put in a cheap resonating crystle which would cause the remote start brain to not work or act like it was dead when it got cold out.  Might also be something to check out.  But the starting and dying of the car sounds more like a bypass issue to me, like it is loosing its programming. 
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

TheRapture wrote:
4. Aftermarket Tach (which is wired directly to the Distributor) is at 0rpm until the cabin temp is warmed.

Can you give any more details on this?  Is that something you expect to happen?

Seems like that would be a cause for the shutdown right there, if it doesn't see the tach pulses when it's cold.

TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
Craig3708, isus, this is a '97 Acura Integra
What kind of by-pass issues are you reffering to?
dualsport, when he gets cold in the cabin the aftermarket Tach does not see a signal (0 rpm) once I have the heater on and the tach starts to warm up, it will just back to normal operation.
Note, the Stock Tach has no problems at all and runs perfectly fine no matter what the weather is.
Any other info needed guys?
Thanks again!
Craig3708 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
For the tach signal, tie into the blue wire at the dist. As for all the other problems it sounds like you have a bad connection at the remote start unit. If the siren and leds are acting differently than maybe the unit is not receiving enough power. Check the +12volt constant and maybe add another ground. If either of these wires weren't getting good contact this will cause a problem.
Craig
TheRapture 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
Craig3708 wrote:
For the tach signal, tie into the blue wire at the dist. As for all the other problems it sounds like you have a bad connection at the remote start unit. If the siren and leds are acting differently than maybe the unit is not receiving enough power. Check the +12volt constant and maybe add another ground. If either of these wires weren't getting good contact this will cause a problem.
For the aftermarket tach, i have a wire running directly to the distributor for the signal, so i do know it's getting a good signal, but i think the tach itself is whats screwing up.
The alarm is connected to the Tach wire going to the insterment cluster (which is the tach that always works). I've tried diffrent + and - and there is no diffrence.
Thoughts?
chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2005 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

To me it sounds like a voltage issue. I know you are using tach sense but with some rs i have seen when the voltage gets to low they act wierd. That also could be why the siren sounds differant and it  happens worse the colder it gets.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic