icon

Remote turn on with AVIC-D1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
options20002001 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
I installed my AVIC-D1 today. Turned the car on and the unit started immediately....did not press any turn on button! I haven't read the manual yet so this may be very simple. But, is there a way to turn on/off the unit completely. I have connected two external amps to the AVIC-D1 along with a powered subwoofer, all turn on by the "blue" remote lead. Problem is that they remain on as long as the car is running!!! How does one get around this issue?
Another question: Can front speaker leads be used and connected to speakers as well as the front RCA preamp outs connected to an external amp for another set of speakers?
Thanks.
Options
Houston, TX
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Try holding down the "source" button to turn the unit off. And use the blue/white to power on the amps. If that isn't working try using the red wire.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
options20002001 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for a quick reply. Yes, by holding down the "source" button the unit does turn itself off. However, it remains illuminated and the screen says "off". The big problem is that amps remain on. I did indeed connect the amps to the "blue/white" system remote control lead (and not the blue wire as earlier stated). Is there a way to turn the unit completely off, i.e. "lights out" so the remote turn on lead switches off!
Thanks.
Options
Houston, TX
whtcrxghst 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  

No.  It does not completely shut off the remote turn-on because they want you to be able to get voice prompts from the navigation even when you are not listening to a source.  If the remote turn were to go off, and you are only using external amps, you wouldn't be able to hear instructions.  Having the amps on while the car is running should not be a drain on the electrical system so I wouldn't worry about it.

You can hook up all the speaker leads and all sets of preouts.  They are independent of eachother

whtcrxghst 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  

One more quick thing, if you don't want the unit's screen illuminated when you source it off, just hold down the v. adj button on the right side and it will go black each time

whtcrxghst wrote:

No.  It does not completely shut off the remote turn-on because they want you to be able to get voice prompts from the navigation even when you are not listening to a source.  If the remote turn were to go off, and you are only using external amps, you wouldn't be able to hear instructions.  Having the amps on while the car is running should not be a drain on the electrical system so I wouldn't worry about it.

You can hook up all the speaker leads and all sets of preouts.  They are independent of eachother

options20002001 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Whtcrxghst,
Really appreciate your help. Thanks.
I was afraid that what you said would be the case. I still don't want the amps/sub running while the car is on!! A workaround would be is to connect a small speaker (and install it somewhere in the dash) to the one of the front speaker leads. Use the front leads because the nav voice comes from the front only. Connect the amps to the RCA preamps and run regular door speakers from there. Install a manual toggle switch on the "system remote lead" so that the amps (and whatever else that is turned on by the remote lead) is only on when one wants it.
Will the above work? Again, thanks for your help on the CD-SR11 steering remote as well as the "caution message" when the nav unit it turned on.
Options
Houston, TX
whtcrxghst 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2005 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

That should work.  They make a nav guidance speaker that might solve your problem.  Not sure what the model is but I have seen it before.  It would be shallower than most small speakers you could find

options20002001 wrote:
Whtcrxghst,
Really appreciate your help. Thanks.
I was afraid that what you said would be the case. I still don't want the amps/sub running while the car is on!! A workaround would be is to connect a small speaker (and install it somewhere in the dash) to the one of the front speaker leads. Use the front leads because the nav voice comes from the front only. Connect the amps to the RCA preamps and run regular door speakers from there. Install a manual toggle switch on the "system remote lead" so that the amps (and whatever else that is turned on by the remote lead) is only on when one wants it.
Will the above work? Again, thanks for your help on the CD-SR11 steering remote as well as the "caution message" when the nav unit it turned on.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic