icon

2 Ohm stable amp, 8/2 Ohm speaker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Spaceman Spiff 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2002 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

I have a SoundStream USA 10 series subwoofer which reads on the back 8/2 ohm dual voice coil.  As per the paperwork it is a 2 ohm speaker (yeah it's kinda old) however the 8/2 thing is throwing me off.  I assume that my 4 ohm amp (Kenwood KAC-859) which is stable to 2 ohms will be able to deal with/handle this woofer.  I'm looking for some confirmation or some correction as to what I thought I knew.

On a side note, I've read through the site that Kenwood isn't necessarily a great choice.  I would disagree.  It's what I have used whenever I have purchased components and have never been let down.  Great longevity and solid performance, mind you I no longer rattle windows or want to win a boom contest, but my system is solid and produces clean sound with great volume.  Naturally this is just my opinion based on experience, and as we all know everybodies got one. 

My system: Kenwood: KAC-MP8017 mp3 player, KGC-9044 EQ, KFC-T204 Tweeters, KFC-6808c 6x8 doors, KAC-859 Amp, Subwoofer pending.

Thank the web for the12volt

Spiff

When all else fails, use a hammer.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
What the owners manual http://www.soundstream.com/owners_manuals/usa81025.zip says is its a 4 ohm DVC which means you can either wire it in a 2 ohm load http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/parallel-parallel-dual-4.gif or into a 8 ohm load http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/series-series-dual-4.gif If you say your amp is 2 ohm stable then you will want to use the 2 ohm configuration. If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic