icon

Remote start w/ existing alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blaine b. 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hello. Is it possible to combine a remote start system with keyless entry system with an existing keyless entry/alarm system already installed in my 95' Jeep Cherokee?
I recently got a remote start system with keyless entry. I know I can install it and just not use the existing keyless entry system.....but I still need the alarm to be armed/disarmed.
Is it possible to combine the two system, so when the doors are locked with the new system the alarm would be armed with the old system which is already installed in the Jeep?
The new system I have is a BOA Model 265B and the old system which is already installed is made by Hornet......not sure of the model.  It may have been installed when the Jeep was new in 1995, because the Jeep has the factory bubble on the interior roof for detecting the remote signal.
Please let me know if this is possible to combine the systems. If not I'll just have to exchange this remote start system with keyless entry for one without the keyless entry feature.....but then I'd need to lug 2 remotes around.   That wouldn't be too bad but it would surely be better with only 1 remote!
Let me know what you think....thank you and Merry Christmas!
redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
it is possiable ....but ur range will be very limited because u will have to use the alarm keyfab to remote start the car......most remote start have extanded range.....
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
blaine b. 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  

So I would be able to use the new remote with lock, unlock, and remote start?

So the lock/unlock would go to the origional receiver and the remote start would go to the new receiver?

Or would all of the functions go to the new receiver, but the alarm would somehow be connected to the new receiver's lock/unlock function?

(the old system does lock/unlock and has an alarm which arms with lock and disarms with unlock.  The new system has remote start with lock/unlock.  Both systems would be in the car at the same time, if that can be done, which would be ideal.  One remote would be used, hopefully the new remote which has buttons for lock, unlock, and start/stop.)

Or were you thinking something else......

Thanks.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
There are many ADD On Remote Starts to the FACTORY System, but as redpeppers said, your Range will be a lot LESS with most Factory Remotes.
You can purchase a Keyless Entry with Remote Start, that will ARM, DisArm, Lock & Unlock, Remote Start & other Features & just put your Factory Remotes away.
MICRO & OMEGA & DEI are a few better products for that type Install
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
You can do it, but it's so much hassle it's hardly worthwhile.
A remote start/alarm/keyless combo unit is only a little bit more money than a remote start/keyless.......I would say, just buy a combo, pull the old stuff out and start anew.
blaine b. 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

Those kits that act as a keyless entry, alarm, and remote start exceed $300.00.

If I were willing to purchase that I wouldn't be posting here.

Now do you recommend I take this remote start/keyless entry kit back and exchange it for a remote starter (without keyless entry?)

Or Could I keep the one I have and make it work with the existing keyless entry/alarm module already on the car?

You'd need to disable the alarm, but not unlock the car when remote starting.  Would this be possible using both of these modules in the car?

blaine b. 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

Ok forgot to add.....

If there are any add-on remote start kits for my vehicle that will work with my existing Hornet alarm/keyless entry kit, do you recommend any that would be going for a good price anywhere?

I'm looking for the type which you can use your pre-existing remotes.  I'm happy with my current range so it is not a problem.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic