icon

LED Shiftlight and LED Alarm light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
widebody 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  

So I have an shiftlight module that connects to a LED I put into my pillar.  I was wondering can I just splice the alarm's LED output signal into the shiftlights LED so I can have it operate as a alarm indicator as well?  From a quick thought, it seems like it'll work just fine.

But do I need like some diodes to keep the alarm signals from making its way up to the shiftlight module and keep the shiftlight signals from going into the alarm's brain?  Also, this would also mean that when my shiftlight activates, it'll also turn on the alarms LED?  Thanks and have a merry xmas!

widebody 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
Also, also, also.. lol.. Sorry please ignore the typos.  Its 4:40AM right now :)
widebody 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
Resistor?
widebody 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know, you guys are the pros... I'm just asking for help :)
widebody 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if I needed something like a checkvalve to keep the voltage from going back into the modules and keep the voltage going *only* into the LED's.
widebody 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

Nope, only one LED drilled into my A-pillar.  I was just wondering if I could use it as a alarm light since its mounted in a good place for one.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

Where did the shift light come from?  Do you have a model number for it?

The main issue I see with this is the placement of the shift light LED.  For it to be effective as a shift light you need to point it towards the drivers eye.  For an alarm LED to be effective you need to be able to see it from most outside angels.  You will most likely NOT be able to see the shift light LED from the drivers side window.

I had a shift light LED in my Mini Cooper before I sold it.  As an attempt to return the car to as stock as possible I removed the shift light module and installed an LED flasher to simulate an alarm.  The people who bought the car thought it was really cool, but in my oppion it was almost worthless.  However, it was still better then just having an unused LED ur a 7/64" hole in the A-pillar!

Kevin Pierson
widebody 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Kevin, I'm actually using your shiftlight module.  I dont want to hurt the module or the alarm's brain if any of the signals from either one makes its way backwards from the LED.  I dont want to drill another hole, I just want to use the current LED for dual purpose.  I figured if people see that the LED is in the pillar then they would know that extra precautions were taken into the alarm system.   So do I need something inline to keep the voltages from the brain to the module and module to brain away from each other?  Or is it ok just to splice the alarm's LED output straight into the shiftlight module's LED output?  Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic