JL/Xtant system, sounds bad

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
psyon 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I had an 8" JL Microsub 8.1 in my car pushed by an Xtant 121m.... sounded GREAT.  I decided to go for a little more and a great deal came by - a buddy was selling two JL 10w0's in a box powered by a JL 250/1 for $250.  i couldn't pass that up, so i bought it and threw it in the car.  The car already had 4 gauge power and ground wired into it in case i ever wanted to upgrade.....

At any rate i put the 2 10w0's and 250/1 in the car and it sounds like CRAP.  i mean it sounds like there is 20 watts going to each sub....  i wondered if it was the settings, but the amp was pre-wired to these subs and the amp is screwed into the top of the box - i didn't mess with the settings when i got it from my friend.... i just hooked up the power, ground, remote, and RCAs for line-in.

what am i missing? i almost want to go back to the 8" Microsub and Xtant amp, but i'm wondering if i'm missing something... it has to be something simple, stupid...  i know an xtant 121m, rated at 120 watts will not out-muscle a 250/1.  am i missing something??

the 250/1 has two-channels, and both are wired up normally to each sub.... each sub is a 4 ohm unit.  i am guessing the amp would be seeing two 4-ohm loads, one on each channel.

help!

Loving Car Audio since 1992
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
make sure the amp is set to low pass and also that the polarity on the subs are right.
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

ss-installer wrote:
make sure the amp is set to low pass and also that the polarity on the subs are right.

both are done.  i even tried switching the polarity on the subs, still sounded the same.  even tried switching the RCA's.  still sounds the same.  It sounds as if the amp isn't putting out the rated power.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

The xtant 121m is 250watts @ 2ohms....125@ 4ohms. use this amp to bump your 2 10s Check how they are wired....make sure its 2ohms

That little xtant is a butt kicker

psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

The xtant 121m is 250watts @ 2ohms....125@ 4ohms. use this amp to bump your 2 10s Check how they are wired....make sure its 2ohms

That little xtant is a butt kicker

even without the LQ chip thing?  i don't think i have that chip....

so what do i do with the 250/1?  is it blown?  is it not wired correctly?  what am i missing?

thanks!

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
By using the xtant amp, you will be able to "test" your wiring and the subs. Give it a try and if it still operates in the same manner it will leave the subs or wiring as the problem.
psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:
By using the xtant amp, you will be able to "test" your wiring and the subs. Give it a try and if it still operates in the same manner it will leave the subs or wiring as the problem.

great, thanks!

question - i don't have a wiring diagram for the xtant amp, and while i [i]thought[/i] it was one-channel, it has two actual channels on it.... considering i had it wired 4-ohm mono on the 8" microsub before (using the left positive, right negative - or vice versa), how do i wire it for two speakers?  if i do it straight-forward and give each 4-ohm 10w0 to its own terminal on the 121m, will they see the 250 watts or 120 watts?  i don't know how the wiring internally of the amp goes...

in other words, if i wire up the two 4-ohm 10w0 subs to each have their own channel on the 121m, will the amp see a 2 ohm load? 

can anyone show me an example of a wiring diagram of how i should do this?  the box with the two 10w0's..... each 10 has its own speaker-connection cup on the back of the box... and each is a 4 ohm speaker.... so its two four-ohm speakers with each having their own terminal on the back of the box.

cheers!  and MERRY CHRISTMAS!  thanks all....

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

I do believe that is a mono amp but for ease of wiring they provide two sets of terminals. So you can set it up like you had it previously, a single 2 ohm load using one set of terminals, or you may hook up two 4 ohm loads, the amp will internally "bridge" it.

So here is the link to wire your woofers... https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

I do believe that is a mono amp but for ease of wiring they provide two sets of terminals. So you can set it up like you had it previously, a single 2 ohm load using one set of terminals, or you may hook up two 4 ohm loads, the amp will internally "bridge" it.

So here is the link to wire your woofers... https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

thanks!

so...

[img]https://www.the12volt.com/ssi/getimage.asp?imgFN=2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif[/img]

according to this, i share the negative of both subs, and share the positive, and wire them to the SAME terminal?  do i wire both negatives to the left negative and both positives to the right positive?  or do i just put them together to the same terminal?

or does it do what you say and "internally" bridge it, so i just wire them normally, each to their own terminal on the amp?  sorry for all the questions, i'm trying to learn!  thanks!  :)

psyon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2005 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
also i noticed there is an LFQ 45 module for my xtant amp... it is a bass boost... does this basically increase output of the amp?  is that something i would want with two tens?  will the LFQ for the X-series amps work for my M?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic