icon

controlling window with alarm unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hari-bhari 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
i have a 2000 toyota solara and i bought an aftermarket alarm and remote starter that has a spare negative output. if i hold a button on the remote down, that output will stay negative for as long as i hold down the button. Is it possible to splice that negative output to the 'window down' wires for both of my windows. I don't care if I can make them go back up, just down would be enough. So is this possible, or am I oversimplifying it?
Uniqueauto 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Thats not possible you need window modules!!

Installer/Owner
Double check twice Install once!
Wires are my Best Friends
hari-bhari 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Uniqueauto wrote:

could you please explain?

hari-bhari 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Uniqueauto wrote:

could you please explain?

ripley01 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know the car, but the principle is as follows:

If the window switches in the car directly operate the motor of the windows, you better not wire a relay to operate the windows directly by the alarm system, as they will always be driven a bit too long. This will reduce the lifetime of the motors.

If the car uses a bit of electronics between the switches and the motors, and these electronics protect the motors from overheating, e.g. by measuring the currect through the motors, or by monitoring pulses as they turn, you can use a relay parallel to the switches.

If the electronics are there, you might find out whether they have some form of protection by measuring the potential accross the motor and see if it drops to zero when they reach bottom or top. Never tried this myself, but it should work like this.

If the electronics aren't there, you need a window module that protects the motors (and does some other nice tricks, like one touch operation).

hari-bhari 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2005 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  
ripley01 wrote:

I don't know the car, but the principle is as follows:

If the window switches in the car directly operate the motor of the windows, you better not wire a relay to operate the windows directly by the alarm system, as they will always be driven a bit too long. This will reduce the lifetime of the motors.

If the car uses a bit of electronics between the switches and the motors, and these electronics protect the motors from overheating, e.g. by measuring the currect through the motors, or by monitoring pulses as they turn, you can use a relay parallel to the switches.

If the electronics are there, you might find out whether they have some form of protection by measuring the potential accross the motor and see if it drops to zero when they reach bottom or top. Never tried this myself, but it should work like this.

If the electronics aren't there, you need a window module that protects the motors (and does some other nice tricks, like one touch operation).

hmm ok, guess its a lil more complicated than i thought. i was jus going to have the output from the unit goto the negative of the window switch, so basically the car would think i was pushing down the window button. the output would only stay active for as long as i held the button on the remote down. but if its going to damage my motors then ill scrap it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic