icon

need some expert advice !!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beerstud136 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

hey, i know alot about ca audio, so you don't have to take me through it step by step, i know what you will be talking about, but i need some help. i have a feeling i'm right, but i know there are alot of smarter people than me on this site. so here is the deal. for my compents, i have Ultimate 5 1/4" 's and 6x9" 's (they are f**kin amazing speakers, never heard anything better) but anyways, because they are such good quality, i'm obviously not going to run them off my like 19 rms from my deck, so i have a 500 watt kenwood 4 channel amp.

my amp rates 80w x 4, or 250w x2 (max) at 4 ohms of course, and 40w x 4 or 120w x 2 (rms)

now what i'm thinking is, my fronts can take 65w rms/130w max, and my 6x9's can take 100 rms/200 max

right now, i am just running it normal 4 ch stereo.need some expert advice !! -- posted image. it's decent, i mean for what it's worth it performes amazing ( i think the 6x9's are worth $300+ (canadian) ). so i'm not dealing with cheap crap here.

what i wanna know is if there is a way to get more power to them with the setup i have. i've  been thinking what will happen if i say .... run the amp 2 channel, bridging my left front/rear  and right front/rear toghter, or bridging front l/r and rear l/r toghter. either way i donno, but the problem is the ratings i have on my amp are at 4 ohms, but i know its 2 ohm stable. my components on the other hand are rated 4 ohms. will the speakers drop imdependance too or just the amp? i dont think i made this to confussing, i guess all i wanna know is if there is another way to run my components so i can get more power to them using my 4 channel amp. any advise is good, thanks need some expert advice !! -- posted image.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
If you bridge the 2 fronts and the 2 rears to 2 channels each channel will get a 2 ohm load and then yes you will get more power.
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
you could put your driver and tweeters in parrell, creating 2 ohms. If you bridge the front and rear you'll loose your fading so you could do something like set your fronts crossover at say 80hz and your rears at 60hz. your amp will do 160x4 at 2 ohms, 500x2 max and run 80x4 and 240x2 rms.
beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

k , so say i run my front left/right toghter, and rear left/right togher, im getting two 2 ohm loads instead of four 4 ohms loads right? and the drivers and tweeters are already in parralell are they not? only one lead goes into the cross over, and 2 come out. so isnt that already done?  and so let me get this straight, if i run 2 ohm instead of 4, my power will double? 80w x 4 at 4 ohms, but 160w x 4 at 2 ohms. butt..... if i want to run 2 ohms, i cant have 4 channels lol, so ill be getting 240 x 2 rms right?

beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
oh, ok, one more thing. say my front speakers are bridged. they are each 65w rms/130 max. if they are bridged and my amp is running 240w rms to them,they will be able to take 130 rms/260max right? i dont mean each speaker, but all toghter i can run 130w rms though that channel, not 65w... cuz there is now 2 speakers. i know this is all simple logic, but i want to make sure i do this right the first time.  
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
so I am getting advice on capacitors by a guy who believes Ultimate speakers sound amazing...now isnt that irony?!
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  

If you bridge the left and right together and get 2 ohms you'll get your 240watts per channel, in theroy each speaker would get 120 watts rms, but power will flow threw the easiest path so if the speakers arent matched perfectly one will get more than the other and it would sound wierd. But wtith these being good speakers i wouldnt worry

beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

first, what the hell is wrong with ultimate? what would you like me to do? sony components? ha, no...

but ya anyways, as i continue to direct my questions towards someone with intelligence...

i've got this under control now. i figured it would work, but just wanted to double check just to be sure. but now that i have all this power, which my speakers cant handle all of it... it's wierd, i dont think ive ever been in the situation that i have to MUCH power. if my amp is dishing out 240x2 rms, my 6x9's will be able to handle 200rms/400 max, so that wont be a big problem, but up front the most they will be able to take is ~ 130 rms, so how do i set my gain right without blowing anything up?

beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
really, i need help. my amp will have more power than my components can handle, so how do i know how high i can turn up my gain? sorry, i've just never had to much power, i always use to come up sort. any adviice is welcome
audiophyle247 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Too much power is not a problem.  Dirty sound(distortion) is what ruins speakers.  If you bridge your left & rights, you will have no surround sound.  It will all be MONO.  Try running a tri-mode set up.  You have a 4 ch. amp. connect your front two channels like normal. Then connect your rear speaker POS. to the front speakers POS. wire.  & then connect the rear speakers NEG. wire to the rear channels NEG. output on the amp.  A little confusing but then your fronts are recieving a 4 ohm load, & your Rear recieves a 2 ohm load, & thus more power. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic