icon

2005 Dodge Neon r/s problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
USMC Vet 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a r/s in a 2005 Dodge Neon,transponder(key in the box) worked fine for 3 months.The guy had a noise in one of his speakers and took it to the dealer,they repalced the radio,all good to go.Then he went to get into it the other day and and it would'nt start with the key or remote starter.Towed to the dealer,replaced some sort of computer,etc:Back on the road again.Now when he puts the key in the ignition turns the key it blows a fuse or something,its at the dealer now.Could remote start have anything to do with this?Thanks!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
If the problem didn't exist until the dealer fixed the speaker problem, then it probably involves something the dealer did. However, if the remote starter was installed in such a way that merely working on the dash and or radio caused the wiring to short circuit, then yes some or most of the blame should go to who installed the remote starter. The dealer may have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I myself have woked on vehicles that had I know I would have left alone. Some people install things with absoulutely no regard or care for the next person to work on the vehicle.
sparky
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
Regardless of what the true cause of the problem is, as someone who does lot of dealer work, here is my experience with this:
--Some dealer techs are befuddled by electrical problems. Some hate aftermarket equipment and are ready to blame it for any problem the car has. Some have BOTH qualities.
--If they suspect the remote starter (or even if it just confuses them), they're going to probably tear it out first (or insist that you do), then get the problem fixed and charge the customer for it..............now you've got a repair&tow bill, a complete reinstall to do for free, and a customer who doesn't trust you.
Since all evidence of the original problem is gone, it would be hard for you to claim that it wasn't your fault.
--Grab some tools and get yourself to the dealership. Work WITH them to solve the problem, and rule the remote starter IN/OUT as the cause.
If they try to make blanket statements that it's the fault of the aftermarket equipment......remain polite but tell them you want to know why, so that you can either fix it or prevent it from happening again.....this FORCES them to work WITH you rather than against you......once you start working against each other you won't win.
--Check out the car. Check out your install, your product.........and even though you're not a mechanic, as a smart person who knows about automotive electrical systems, troubleshoot the actual problem at hand.
--If it was your fault, fix it, pay the tow/diagnostic bill, thank the dealer for looking at the car, and apologize to the customer............no installer is perfect, and I think if you are honest about it, people will understand.
--If it was NOT your fault, and you figured out what the problem really is, SHOW it to the tech who will be fixing it, and explain it to the dealer's service writer and maybe the customer too......this will make it harder for them to blame you later.
It sucks that often you'll have to do their job for them.......that is, troubleshoot a difficult electrical problem.........but in the long run, it is probably cheaper to do that for free than to have to pay the bill, and it will save your reputation too.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic