the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to determine the volume of a fiberglass box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I was just wondering.  How do these folks that have these huge walls made of fiberglass in their vehicles detemine the volume?   Or for any box size when you have sloped fibreglass?  I made one for two J L audio tens and it was way too small.  Alot of midbass but no low end.   Just wondering.    Brian
beerstud136 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2002 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
capple 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2002 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
fill with water,stytofoam peanuts, or anything else you find to fill the enclosure then transplant to a known volume, That is for the non even enclosure imposable to calcualate
brianh 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2002 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
That is a good idea.  But isnt it a quessing game because you have to build it before you can fill it with water?  I need at least .75 per woofer for my tens.(thats what JL audio calls for sealed)  I just dont see how you can build a good sounding box by guessing.  Do you understand what I am trying to say?
beerstud136 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2002 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

what series are your subs

capple 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2002 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Some times when you are using the wheel well or another part of the cars body as the mold for the box there is no way of telling for sure what size your going to have. This way if you go a bit big you know how much and can fill it.

brianh 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2002 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

My subs are the w1 series.  They are about 5 years old and still playing great.   I have only built two fiberglass boxes so I dont have a whole lot of practice at it yet.  Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.     

Brian

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok here goes....if you are makin the majority out of wood, you can guess pretty close.....just don't put the back on the box and once you have the ring mounted and material streached over the front you can fill it with anything from foam peanuts to water to sand to whatever you can measure. i have a box that is 1 cubic foot that i measured .25, .50..75 and the top is 1 cubic foot to measure the peanuts in.....as for molding it into a side wall that is a little more tricky.....you have to guess more at how much area to glass, but  you can still measure it .....glass the area you want, mount your ring to the glassed section, wrap the majority of the front ...just leave a little open and fill it with peanuts..if its too small you can alwasy add more to the base , or move the ring for your sub out more to get more area inside....thats the basic idea ..if you need a more in depth explination let me know
brianh 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2003 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the comments.  I wont be trying a new encloser until I get my new vehicle.  Hopefully soon.  Thanks again.  Brian
roadrage 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2003 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

simple... i make these all the time. first you need to build a box that has an inside dimension of exactly 12 inches by 12 inches. it should be at least 2 foot deep. this can give you as much as 2 cu. feet of capacity. Take a marks-a-lot marker and mark a line every inch from bottom up on the inside of this box. This is now a perfect measuring cup... go to a store like meijer or wal-mart and buy the styrofoam bb's that go it bean bag chairs. these will be able to fit in the smallest of cavities (and their dirt cheap).

estimate and build your enclosure a little bigger than you need. when you have the major structure complete, fill it with the bb's (make sure they reach everywhere, your air will...). Carefully transfer the bb's to your measuring cup, and determine  the cu. feet by 12"x 12"x your depth of pellets. figure out how far you are over and add to the inside of the enclosure with cut pieces of 1" thick styrofoam board making sure to recoat over them with more mat and resin. Make sure to remeasure after you are done to be sure everythings right.

This is a no fail way so all you can have is fun, good luck.

Jim, roadrageaudio (269)684-7570

you're just mad cause my honda's faster than your v-8
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic