icon

door locks 1991 grand prix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bimmer72 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a Viper 130XV remote start/keyless entry into a 1991 grand prix, and need help connecting the keyless entry into the existing power locks. 

The drivers door lock switch has a black that tests +12v on unlock, 0.2v on lock, and ground at rest; a lt blue that tests +12v on lock, 0.2v on unlock, and ground at rest, and a orange constant 12v.

The shop I purchased the unit at said no add on relays were needed, and I cant seem to find any factory relays.  There is what looks like a fuse or breaker that disables the locks when removed in the panel under the glove box, and a couple of unrelated relays, and I don't see any relays on the drivers side. 

There is a grey and brown wire going to the lock motor, one is +12v on lock, one +12v on unlock. 

The Viper unit has a green (-) lock (+) unlock output and blue (+) lock (-) unlock output.  

I would appreciate direction in wiring this- do I need to add relays, or how would I wire it if I don't? 

Thanks-

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
they sound like simple + locks to me....use the + trigger for lock to the lt. blue lock wire and the + unlock to black unlock.... if the unit has dual polarity outputs then no relays should be required....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
bimmer72 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Kevin, Thanks for the quick reply,
This is what I tried initially (and repeatedly), but the doors don't lock or unlock when the keyless is activated.  The lights flash, as they should, but no activity on the locks whatsoever.   Any other ideas?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
it could be the doorlock pulse length... try to program for a longer pulse or else use a 451M..... also, make sure you have the 3 pin plug actually pluuged into the brain ( dont get insulted, i've done this myself  lol)
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

Kevin is correct.

The blue - unlock wire from the remote start goes to the light blue + doorlock wire.

The green - lock wire from the remote start goes to the black + door unlock wire.                                                                 This is std on all DEI alarms/remote starters. Grn = neg lock/pos unlock and blue = neg unlock/pos lock.

Check your outputs on the remote starter with a voltmeter. Maybe you fried something during the installation? The above is the only way it should be connected, unless you use a relay pack.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

Some of the older GM cars take more amps to Lock / Unlock then newer models.

Have you pulsed a 12 Volt wire to the Lock / Unlock wires??

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
bimmer72 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmmm, anyone know eCPR?  I have Zero current from either wire off of the brain...  I imagine this means I'll have to continue to use the Key in the lock the old fashioned way as I'm not an authorized installer for warranty purposes...

kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Check to see if you have ground off the brain.  If you have ground, you can use relays to reverse polarity.
Keith
bimmer72 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Everything else (remote start, lights flash, brake disable, tach wire, jhood pin) works, just the locks seem to be out of commission.  When I hit the lock  button, it flashes the lights, but no lock/unlock.  Haven't tried more amps to the lock/unlock wires, as there is no milliamps coming out of the brain for either the lock or unlock wire even though the lights flash...

chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2005 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
That unit only does neg locks you will have to build relays.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic