icon

close sunroof with remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sprint_dddddddd 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  

where would i go about finding one of these sunroof modules?

sprint_dddddddd 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

natsys wrote:
Did you mix up your 87 and 87a wires? If you did you would be hooking up your 12 volt power source directly to ground. It really sounds like that's what happened.
87a and 30 are always connected inside the relay when the power to the relay's coil is OFF. At this time 87 and 30 do not connect.
87 and 30 only connect when power to the relay's coil is ON. Now 87a and 30 are not connected.
Also make sure 30 goes to the MOTOR side of the wire you cut and not the switch side.

natsys,

no im positive i had it wired exactly like you said.  Could it be possible that the relay is bad?

natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
If the fuse is blowing as soon as you connect your power source to 87 then somethin's goofy.
Try confirming the basics.
Use your ohm meter. If you connect to your relay, terminal 87a and 30 it should show the contacts to be closed. Connect to 87 and 30 and it should show the contacts to be open.
Check your sunroof motor wires. With everything hooked up the way it was BEFORE you tried anything, confirm that both legs of the motor are showing ground.
If they are, this is what I would do. You may not want to--it's your car. I would take the wire you originally cut (the one that shows 12 volts positive when the sunroof is closing) and separate it again. Now you have 2 wires--one going to the switch, and the other going to the sunroof motor. Check the switch side and make sure it still shows ground. Now comes the risky part. I'd apply 12 volts positive (carefully, using a fused lead) to the motor side ONLY of the cut wire.
If the sunroof motor closes your wiring is wrong someplace. If it doesn't close, the legs of the motor don't rest at ground and you need to find out how that switch really works. Based on your saying that the motor runs on 12 volts this really shouldn't be that difficult to figure out. I've worked on several power windows which are essentialy the same as a sunroof motor. One wire gets +, the other gets - and the motor moves. Reverse the wires and it moves the other way.
If you can't determine which wire does what I doubt a sunroof module will help. Although I've never used one, I'll bet you've got to know what wires go where and do what in order to properly hook up any kind of module.
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
DEI makes a window/sunroof module to be used with remote starts/alarms. Module number is 529T and it can be order from your local car electronics shop, or the internet.
natsys 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2006 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a DEI window module on my 91 Acura Legend. I don't know the model number, but I recall that I did have to know which wires went from the master switch to the front window motors and which were up and which were down. I can't remember if polarity was an issue--probably not--if the windows went the wrong way you just had to switch the wires.
My point: If you can figure that out you should be able to wire a simple SPDT relay to close a window or sunroof. I paid $50.00 for my window module--it did both front windows--and a SPDT relay is, what, $5.00? If something is cheaper and/or easier then it's worth considering. I suspect a window module is neither cheaper nor easier. If you want to buy a module try to get a copy of the installation instructions beforehand to make sure it's going to fix the problem, not just make it more expensive. If it will clear up this whole problem for you then it may be worth it.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic