icon

underpowering subs = damage?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d43m05 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've just picked up a pair of CompVR CVR12, dual 2ohm subs, and i was wondering.
The rms of the drivers is 400 watts, but i've seen them listed with 50-400 as rms. Would the drivers be damaged if i run them with approximately 160 watts, or would sound quality just suffer a bit?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2005 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
It won't hurt them a bit, but don't get over zealous with the gain in hopes to achieve more volume (clipped signal kills speakers). I can't say you lose "sq" but there be a loss of volume in comparison to 400 watts.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
i would have to agree with dwarren. also if you are running 160 per sub from a quality amp SQ should be fine.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2005 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Underpower = damage = BULLSH*T.  Overpower = damage = truth.
Support the12volt.com
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
I know this is a stupid question, but the glossary didnt help much, and neither did a search.
Could someone define more precisely what clipping is/does and how to define when it occurs?
My (moderately uneducated) guess is the driver will "belch"
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
This will explain it
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Underpower = damage = BULLSH*T.  Overpower = damage = truth.

It's amazing how people will argue this with me though.  I even had a guy supposedly going to school for his EE degree argue this.  Here's a link to anyone who wants a good laugh: http://www.g2ic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130688&page=1&pp=20&highlight=kephart

menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
I agree too both. But I believe under powering them with a "dirty" signal does more harm than over powering them with a "clean" signal.  and   visa-versa Steven Kephart  "from you post in the other forum"  im not dis' respecting you! but under rpm-ing a engine can result in losing main bearings. if you hear a knock when you take off in a higher gear rather in first or a gear higher than an engine can take. you will hear a rattle and that's the main bearings "talking" telling you to down shift,  that's the sound of the crank beating against the bearings causing damage.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2006 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
so basically
Underpower = no death
Clipping = Death
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2006 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

menace2sobriety wrote:
I agree too both. But I believe under powering them with a "dirty" signal does more harm than over powering them with a "clean" signal. 

How could it do more harm though?  Can you explain how this dirty signal could hurt the sub?  Because the only way you can damage a sub from an input signal is by applying too much power, period.  When I worked at Adire Audio heading up the warranty department, I used a small 250 watt plate amp to test the subs.  I would constantly clip the amplifier, sometimes having the gain all the way up and yet I never hurt the speakers.  They could handle way more power than what the amplifier could produce.

menace2sobriety wrote:
  and   visa-versa Steven Kephart  "from you post in the other forum"  im not dis' respecting you! but under rpm-ing a engine can result in losing main bearings. if you hear a knock when you take off in a higher gear rather in first or a gear higher than an engine can take. you will hear a rattle and that's the main bearings "talking" telling you to down shift,  that's the sound of the crank beating against the bearings causing damage. 

Ok, so the analogy wasn't the best.  But a higher impedance is still easier load on an amplifier.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic