icon

codealarm draining battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tortcat 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

We have a saturn 97 sc2 that is currently down at the local walmart getting the only 3 weeks old new battery replaced.

The problem is the car goes completely and totally dead....this is the third time in 3 weeks since the new battery.  The alternator , the charging diode AND the battery supposedly all check out.

Walmart is putting a new battery in for free....but  this car has a codealarm starter disable system that was installed in it when I bought the car used back in 99.

I would like to simply isolate  ie cut the power...remove the fuse  something to the alarm system  to be sure that it is not draining the battery.  I have no manuels ...so was wdonering if anyone had any advice as to what to look for and how hard it would be for me to disable it...

( this way if the car goes dead again  we know its NOT the alarm)...

we dont care about the alarm....its only a 97saturn sc2  and dontthink someone would really steal it lo.....but I cant seem to find a fuse to pull or a wire to cut....

ANY advice...a link to a online manuel that showed installation instructions...anything would be appreciated.

That you for any and all help.  ( I dont know the exact model btw  but it simply had a little 2 button remote...but both my wife and I would be happy to simply disbale it as we only have one working remote anyhow.)

I just dont know where to look under the hood for a wire to pull or a fuse to remove to kill the circuit to it...( of course want to make sure the car will start also lol)

Thanks!

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
find the alarm brain and simply unplug the connectors going to it... if the car doesnt start after this you'll have to trace back the starter kill relay likely installed and rewire it back to factory......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Forseti 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
I dont think the problem is with the alarm . Check all of your dash, glove, trunk lights .. make sure they go off... a bad switch in the glove box light and it will drain it overnight and you wouldnt know the light is still on because the glove box is closed ... I have also heard that a bad power window switch could kill it too .....to find a current draw you could hook up a digital volt meter to your battery.... make sure the hood light is off... and turn off your headliner lights....then pull one fuse at a time and find the one that causes a voltage spike. You should get a small spike when you pull the fuse for the PCM and the radio/cigar fuse.. but the others should not

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic