Want better sound for a 944

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyc951 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hi:

I have a Porsche 944 which has 1 speaker in each door and an 8" subwoofer in the back.  I would like to have better sound (more dynamic, rich, etc.) and would like some tips on how to achieve this.

An idea I have is switching the front 4x6 speakers for 4" components with the tweeters mounted higher on the door.  Anything else?  I would also like to limit cutting of metal and adding too much weight.

Thanks in advance.

hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

Get eveything low profile! I know eclipse makes subs low profile. They are very impressive.  There are other manufacturers that make low profiles but I cant put my finger on it... If I remember I'll be sure to point it out for you. As for the components, I seem to be very impressed with the focals. They are pretty dang small for their power!

My brother used to own a 944. He wanted to sell it to me for 2 grand, until the water pump broke. How does that 944 treat ya? The replacement parts are epensive! He said he maxed his at 140. Its pretty quick with good handling. Stops on a dime to. I was impressed with stock!

EDIT: As for the tweeters and soundstaging, its really up to you. Different variations will still give you good results. Its all based on space. If you have enough, put the tweets on the dash, and 4" in the kicker area, or the boot right of the door. Or you could put them together in the door or kicker area. Or anywhere else for that matter! Mess around with the soundstaging and see what makes it sound best in the vehicle.

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP
nyc951 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

HexOrz:

Thanks for the reply. 

I'll probably go with the 4" components - the woofer in the stock location which is the lower front part of the door and the tweeter mounted at the top front of the door.

Any other suggestions before I start buying parts?  What's the best bang for the buck 4" component set?  I'm willing to spend about $100-ish.

Also, the HU will likely be a Nakamichi of some sort.

Thanks!

nyc951 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

To help you guys help me, here's what the interior of a 944 looks like.  Thanks.

Want better sound for a 944 - Last Post -- posted image.

hex0rz 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

Haha, me and you definitely had a big difference in years. Yours looks like the newer 944. My bro had a red one with the flares. Think it was the 70's one. Porsche is one of those people that don't factor in space. They are made for performance. It is going to be a challenge for you to fir things right. Don't buy anything until you take measurements and research what fits best, but still exceeds your expectations.

I really do not know much on who is better when dealing with components. There are plenty of makers who will make you smile. Mtx, Eclipse, Pioneer, Focal, etc. I would recommend Focal over everything because they specialize in component speakers and whatnot. I have yet to see a subwoofer by them. Although, Focal is not cheap!

I really do not know anyone who makes 4" models for comp. series. Hehe, I have 4" Pioneers that came with my mazda stock. So, I'm positive you could try them...

I would only get one subwoofer if I were you. Space is very limited in Porsche's. Reason why I say that is because, if you want crisp and clean sound through your comp.'s you will need an amplifier. So where are you going to fit 2 amplifiers? Where that 2nd sub would be. Get creative with your space!

If your like me, I don't like to skimp on my audio. If you want quality sound, its going to take more than $100. IMHO! My 6 1/2 components cost me $300! Which BTW, was on sale. Retail, it was almost $700!

Vehicle: Mazda B2200 1989 X-Cab
Audio System:
1. (2) MTX TA3401
2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P770MP

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic