icon

L7 Port Info Needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
LooneyG 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
I'm building two custom boxes for a pair of L7 15" and was wondering if anyone knew about the port size that should be used i know on the Kicker site it says for the 6 Cu Foot Box (32 L x 17.75 W x 24.25 H) you have to use 3 1/2 Height x 16.25 Width Port but that's if the box is 17.75 Wide my box dimension are different they are (33 L x 24 W x 15 H) so now that my Box is 24 Inches wide should i still use their specs for port size or should i use the inner width an make it 22.5" and make it 3" Tall ???
Thanks everyone for any info !!!
LooneyG 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Is this possible take Kicker's port dimension and multiple them 3.5" x 16.25" x 13" then take the final number and divide it by my box specs which are 3.5" and then 22.5" and then that would give me a new port length of about 10" for the inside of my box. Would this be equal to Kicker's port specs ?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Your box as described looks to be close to 1 cubic foot smaller than the specified 6 cu ft box in the Kicker manual.  You must realize that the port dimensions are in relation to the box volume, so in order to use the specified port size (or equivalent) you have to be working with a box of the same interior cubic feet.

But then, that is just by doing a quick calculation using exterior dimensions that you posted here.  It's the interior NET volume that is important (net volume is just the air space dedicated to the woofers, taking out the port and all interior wood).

If you have arrived at exactly the same interior volume as the spec'd box, you can use the spec'd port size.  And you can use an equivalent of the spec'd port size...such as a different configuration of the port opening as long as it matches the same square inches.  And you would keep the port length the same as spec'd.  You would take their spec'd port opening area and find square inches (3.5 X 16.25 = 56.875 square inches).  Then you could change that opening to better fit your box so that it equals the same square inches, and leave the port length as specified.  But remember that the interior volume of 6 cu ft has to be there first.

If you are changing cubic feet volume from the Kicker specs, you have to calculate the port yourself.  Let the forum know what you are doing in this regard. 

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
LooneyG 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart thank you for your response i did make a mistake when i posted the size of my box the inner diameter is 31.5" x 22.5" x 15" which equals out a little over 6 Sq. Ft so if you could let me know if i'm supposed to leave the port length along and just modifiy the outer part, thank you very much !!!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

Remember that the interior volume has to be large enough to compensate for the volume of the port and its walls, since that volume is encroaching in your woofer's air space.  IF you have close to 6 cubic feet after all dispacement allowances (note:  check on this...IIRC Kicker allows for the sub displacement with that number) then you are close enough just to modify dimensions of the port and leave the length as stated.

Very slight changes in box volume or port volume should result in only slight changes to the tuning frequency of the box and are usually acceptable.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
LooneyG 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart thanks again i will give that a shot and post how it turned out and Happy New Year to you and everyone else one here !!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic