icon

Amp or Sub problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rx7andrx7 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guyz....I have a question about my stereo....ever since I installed an alpine amp & alpine sub & a Capaitor, it works great....btw, I have non-bose, and I use a LOC.....so, until today when I'm driving home, I try to knock it again, all the sudden, there's no sub anymore....and I throught I blown a fuse or somethin, when I got home, I checked out everything, everything is tighten and no blown fuse, so I start my car again, and it work again....after awhile, it's out again.....I was look at the amp, and it's still on when the sub is out, the sub is in perfect condition, it's no damage or anything.....so I shut off my car and start again, and it work again......hmmmm.....I wonder why?? anyone here have experience on that??? please help...thx.
rx7andrx7 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
I just found out when I knock it too hard, it's gonna shut off by itself until I turn off the key and turn back on, but the amp is still on, I wondering if it's the sub or what?? please help
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

Is this an RX7?  Check to see if your amp is getting too hot when it cuts out.  Possible causes are:  to heavy a load on the amp (too low of an impedence presented to the amp- ohms), too high gain settings, voltage issues (measure with a meter), or a poor ground connection.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
rx7andrx7 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I checked out all the wiring & ground, and they're all fine....but there's one thing that I know, but not sure if that'll cause the problem. Ok, I have the Alpine M-350 - 200W @ 4ohm & 350W @ 2ohm...and I have a 10" Alpine Type S, it's a 2+2 DVC ....so I wire them in parallel, and it's always got 1ohm....and could that be the problem, maybe??
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, if the amp is seeing a 1 ohm load it may go into low impedence protection or thermal protection. Cycling the amp on and off generally will reset the protection circuits. Next time the amp shuts down, feel the amp. If it is hotter than the hottest chick you have ever seen, that is thermal protection. Rewire the sub in series to make it a safe 4 ohm load.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
hobobasher 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
lol forbidden I like how you put that. Yep putting the amp at 1 ohm would cause that. Some amps can handel it but expect to spend good money on a decent amp that will handel 1 ohm. Rewire the subs so the amp isnt seeing a 1 ohm load. You may not have as much bang but I think you would rather have less bang and a system then no bang and a fried amp
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
nice forbidden. props, however to the rx7 guy i hope its not as hot as the 'hottest chick' you have ever seen.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic