icon

Is this the correct liquid nail for boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chris(nj) 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I bought some liquid nails; Paneling; wood & foam molding tubes. That link shows what it is and is not recommended for. Is this the correct stuff or should i go back and get a different type of LN? Also, if I use polyfill, should I use a tacky spray adhesive to get the polyfill to adhere to the box walls?
chris(nj) 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
also....this box is for a JL 10w6v2. The recommended size for the box per the jl site is 14.5x12x10.25. I attached what you may call a rendition of the box w/ the dotted lines representing the brace and cutout for the sub. Is that the style of brace that I should use? Or is there another recommended way to brace the box? Lastly, should I just increase the box by about 3/4" since I'll be using a spare piece of mdf in there? Thanks in advance!! Is this the correct liquid nail for boxes -- posted image.
Is this the correct liquid nail for boxes -- posted image.
2001~S10~xtreme~xcab
greg_jobes 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, well i cant say it wont work. But i've always used LN Subfloor, it's real strong and it fills gaps upto 1/8". You dont even need to seal the box after, just use your finger to spread the exess into the seams.
chris(nj) 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply!.... I would like to get the low voc versions that LN offers, but they only appear to be sold in CA Is this the correct liquid nail for boxes -- posted image.   I'll probably build the box on tues or weds and wont be doing the actual install until probably saturday, so it should have enough cure time for the voc's to release enough where it wont affect the speakers.  I guess its just a matter of whether or not that particular LN is strong enough to make a solid connection.  Any idea on my other questions? Thanks again!
2001~S10~xtreme~xcab
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I still like Gorilla Glue better even though it costs more.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

LN projects adhesive is easier to use for this type of project and is available everywhere.  And your brace looks good...you just have to figure the displacement of the wood and adjust your box to compensate.  The best way with the brace pictured is to first figure the displacement of the solid baffle, and then figure the displacement of the circle that was cut out and subtract.  A square cutout, while technically not as strong, will still make a very good brace and would be much easier to calculate displacement.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

What about good old Titebond?

I've used both products and neither one of the boxes has come un-glued.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Yup... titebond works quite nicely. The only thing that comes unglued around here is me once inawhile.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
titebond is amazing.
chris(nj) 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys!  I think the last question I have for now is if I need to figure any displacement for the polyfill or not and does it need a spray adhesive on the inside walls to stick it to? 
2001~S10~xtreme~xcab
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic