icon

remote starter recommendation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
umpbush 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

Can anyone please recommend a quality remote starter (possibly a 2 way but not necessary) with keyless entry for a 02 chevy blazer?  I have experience with installing car stereoes and speakers but pretty general knowledge with installing electronics.  I am looking for a quality remote starter that I can possibly install on my own.  After reading several reviews I believe I can install the Bulldog systems but they don't sound to be up to snuff in quality.    Recommend brands and/or models and bypass kits since I believe I have the passlock II system on my blazer.  Please recommend good places to buy these on the internet.  Thanks in advance guys

Brandon

padjr 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I just finished installing a Viper 791 XV in an 02 Ford F350.  It works beautifully.  DEI makes Clifford, Viper, and Hornet, and they seem to have their act together.  The install took me 3 days all together, but the first 2 days were prep, drilling and proving wires.  I did the Alarm part the second day, then the Remote Start part on the third day.  Some of the color codes for the Ford were not located or listed right, (the door trigger).  You MUST know how to use a meter and a soldering gun.  It is a bit daunting.  If it's your first, then take your time, study it for a day first, sleep on it.  Don't try to do it all in one day.  If you can get the ignition harness unplugged from the column and make it easy to get at and solder, it makes all the difference.  The only wire that actually gets cut is the starter wire so save it for last.  The rest are just tapped on and if you run into trouble you can just unplug from the RS relay harness and you should be able to start and run with the key until you can figure out the problem.
Jim
rdlybeck 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

You would love the Alert 750R

This is a two way system with about 3000 ft range.  Cold start feature if it gets too cold it will run your vehicle.  Programable timer starting, and keyless entry with alarm.  You can find it for about $137 at digitallyunique.com

Install is very easy going if you have had experiance with diodes and relays.  good instructions and great tech support too.  alertautomotive.com

Ryan Lybeck
"Wiring diagrams are nice but still double check with DMM"!
umpbush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

I like what the Alert systems have to offer but I have never heard of them.  Are they a reliable company with quality products?  I can post a new topic to see what other people see if that is better

Brandon

umpbush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Are Alert and Bulldog the same company because their stuff looks exactly the same?  They even have the same bypass modules and t harnesses.  Is Alert get the same bad reviews that Bulldog gets?  Interested in on of the Alert 550R systems but looks to similar to Bulldog systems that get bad reviews

Thanks

Brandon

rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

JBS Technologies makes both Alert and Bulldog.  If you research some web articles about JBS you'll see that.  Bulldog is made much cheaper and made for the do it yourselfer.  Alert is much better made, the way a bulldog should be.  The wires are longer, the brains are well constructed and they are very detailed in the install and program manuals.  I have installed some bulldogs in the past and will never recommend them, ever...  However of all the product I've seen You get the best bang with ALert.  DEI makes great sruff like Viper and Python but you do not get tech support unless you are a pro.  Alert helps anyone who calls and they are always there on the third ring and very helpful.  That is one of the tests I do before buying a new product is call tech support with a pretend problem saying I have this or that to see if they help and know what they are talking about.

I'm curious about Audiovox also, I havn't seen one but hear they are great.

Ryan Lybeck
rdlybeck 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
See your other post.   I love these systems and they are made by JBS.
Ryan Lybeck
indyaudioguy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I also like Crimestopper's NEW RS-999FM-TW1.  It is a 2-way system and loaded with features.  They offer a lifetime warranty, and they offer GREAT tech support, unlike some other manufacturers who cannot be reached at all!  I have been installing them for about 19 years and would not use anything else.  Regardless of what you choose, though, put the extra time into each connection during installation.  It will be worth it as it will save you from intermittent performance down the road.
Anderson Electronics, Inc.
indyaudioguy 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2006 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
OOPS....i meant to say Crimestopper's NEW RS-999TW1.
Anderson Electronics, Inc.
umpbush 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all your suggestions.  One other question, if I buy the Alert system do I need to get their 791 bypass module or can I use any bypass module.  Like after looking at both the Alert and Crimestopper I have to decide which I want but it seems the GM-SL from crime stopper is a better bypass module because of some added features.  Do I need to get corresponding brand bypass modules?  If there are better bypass modules please inform me of those as well.

Thanks

Brandon

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic