icon

DVC subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpedprobegt 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
If you wire 4 DVC subwoofers, with 3 having the voice coils in series, and one having the voice coil in parallel, would it change the output of the three series subs compared to the one parallel sub???  Also I bought an MTX 81001 which is 1 ohm stable.  Is it really hard onthe amp to run it at .5 or .8 ohms?
1997 Chevy K1500
Clarion VRX935VD
Power Accoustix 2.5 Farad Cap
MTX 81001
MTX Thunder 302 x2
Alpine SWE 12 x4
Blaupunkt highs
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  

Never wire subs separately/differently to an amp.... ive done that before and threw the voice coil out of the motor and it landed on the magnet of the sub.,.....no good.

Running an amp under the recommended ohm rating voids the warranty. there are few amps that can do this a mtx is one of them but i would not recomend it.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  

pimpedprobegt wrote:
would it change the output of the three series subs compared to the one parallel sub?

Oh yes.  That one sub would receive four times the power than each of the other three subs.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

Which of course will lead to sss (smelly speaker syndrome), so not the best of ideas to do. Yes it is very hard o nthe amp to run it at an impedence it was not designed or engineered to operate at. That leads to sas (smelly amplifier syndrome), so again, not the best of ideas.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic